Neyyappam Appams / Sweet
Appams/Unniyappam 2nd Recipe ( with Variation)
Hi friends!Unniyappam-Neyyappam is the traditional recipe and popular snack of keralites. Both Neyyappam and Unni appam is often used as a ritual offering in temples in Kerala ,South India.Unni in malayalam means small, Ney means ghee/clarified butter and Appam means small rice cake.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian/ Kerala delicacies
Recipe Category: Snacks
- 1 cup Wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Rice flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp of Baking soda
- 1/2 cup Jaggery, grated
- 4 tbsp Fresh grated coconut, Optional
- 4 Cardamoms, powdered
- 1 banana, Ripe and mashed
- 1 /4 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Pure Ghee/clarified butter
In a bowl take wheat flour, mashed bananas,rice flour, cardamom powder, grated coconut, baking soda and mix well .
In a pan heat water add jaggery, heat till all the jaggery dissolves.
Mix the jaggery syrup to the flour gradually, stirring and mixing all the ingredients well.
Add slowly milk to the mix to have a thick batter.
Keep the batter aside for half an hour.
Heat the appam pan and put a drop of oil into each indent of the mould . Now add the required amount of batter into the mould indents to make them 2/3 full.
Cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame .When it gets cooked (golden brown) on one side, using a skewer or a knife flip over gently (each appam )and let the other side also cook for 2-3 minutes.Make sure appams are fully cooked. Serve hot.
Add jaggery according to your sweet taste. Add little amount of more to the batter and mix well.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.