Badam Kesar Kulfi
Origin of kulfi
The world ‘Kulfi’ derived from Hindi language and is said to be a synonym for the word ‘ice’, coined by the residents of the Himalayan region. The word is spelled as ‘qulfi’ in Persian, meaning ‘covered cup’.
Hi Friends! one of the greatest Indian desserts is Kulfi. Kulfi is a traditional ice-cream made with boiled milk, sugar, Saffron, almonds and is available in many flavors. Summers can never be fun without kulfis and ice creams. Here is a summer bonanza for you all! Absolutely yummy, easy to make at home Kulfi !!!
Kulfi is a frozen, milk based dessert, colloquially known as the Indian ice cream. The kulfi is not churned, and the texture is to be dense and thick.
Prep Time : 10 minutes
Cuisine : Indian
Course : Dessert
Cook time : 2 hours
Serve : 6
Level Of Cooking : Easy
- 1 liter Milk, full cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp Corn flour
- 1/2 Cup ground Almonds
- 1/4 tsp Saffron/kesar powdered
- 1/2 cup sugar/ or as per taste increase
In a heavy bottom pan heat the milk. When the milk begins to boil, reduce the heat and stirring intermittently simmer, till the milk is reduced by half.
Take 1/2 cup cold milk and add corn flour to it. Mix well into a lump free mixture.
Add the corn flour-milk mixture, to the boiling milk, mix well (step.1).
Add sugar, saffron, almond powder to the above mixture. Cook for two to three minutes, stirring continuously. Switch off the stove and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
Pour the mixture into individual kulfi moulds and place them in the freezer to set.
In Approximately three hours, when well set, take the kulfi out of the mould and serve immediately.
Health Benefits of Almonds:
- They reduce heart attack risk.
- They lower “bad” cholesterol. Almonds added to the diet have a favorable effect on blood cholesterol levels.
- They protects artery walls from damage.It was found that the flavonoids in almond skins work in synergy with the vitamin E, thus reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Almonds help build strong bones and teeth.The phosphorus in almonds helps make this possible.
- They provide healthy fats and aid in weight loss.
- Almonds lower the rise in blood sugar and insulin after meals.
- They help provide good brain function.Almonds contain riboflavin and L-carnitine, nutrients that boost brain activity and may also reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- They nourish the nervous system.According to Ayurveda, almonds help increase high intellectual level and longevity.
- They alkalize the body. Almonds are the only nut and one of the few proteins that are alkaline forming. When your body is not alkaline enough, you risk osteoporosis, poor immune function, low energy and weight gain.
Health Benefits of Saffron:
Healing Benefits of Saffron
The benefits and medicinal properties of this highly priced spice, make it a valuable culinary ingredient worldwide. Modern research suggests that saffron can be used as an aphrodisiac, diaphoretic [to cause sweating], carminative [ to prevent gas] and to bring on mensuration. Some other benefits are mentioned hereunder:
1. Protects against cancer: Saffron contains a dark orange, water soluble carotene called crocin, which is responsible for much of saffron’s golden color. Crocin has been found to trigger apoptosis [ programmed cell death] in a number of different types of human cancer cells, leukemia, ovarian carcinoma, colon adenocarcinoma, and soft tissue sarcoma.
2. Promotes learning and memory retention: Recent studies have also demonstrated that saffron extract, specifically its crocin, is useful in the treatment of age related mental impairment. In Japan, saffron is encapsulated and used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease, memory loss and inflammation.
3. In patchy baldness: Saffron mixed in liquorice and milk makes an effective topical application to induce hair growth in alopecia.
4. Protection against cold: Saffron is a stimulant tonic and very effective to treat cold and fever; saffron mixed in milk and applied over the forehead quickly relieves cold.
5. Food Additives: Saffron is an excellent replacement for synthetic food additives- for eg: instead of FD and C yellow no 5: a synthetic food coloring agent that is a very common allergy trigger, Saffron’s glorious yellow could be an acceptable hypoallergenic choice.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.