kohlrabi /Knol Khol/Ganth Gobi Pickle Photo curtsy Mrs. Paramita Mehta
kohlrabi /Knol Khol/Ganth Gobi Pickle Recipe is contributed by Mrs. Usha Mehta.
Knol khol is one of the lesser known vegetables. It is known by many different names, like Navalkol. Ganth Gobi etc. But it is most commonly known as Kohlrabi.
Knol khol, or kohlrabi as it is better known as, has North-European origins. It has thence spread all over the world, including in South Asian countries. It is very widely used in the Northern state of Kashmir in India. It is also used popularly in many other states in this country.
The kohlrabi is quite similar in looks to that of a cabbage. It is greenish in color, with white patches. It is big and round. The main difference with the cabbage is that there are no leaves covering this vegetable. There may be some light green colored extrusions which are mostly shoots.
It is sometimes also called the German Turnip because of its stout and tuber like structure. It belongs to the brassica family, which also contains the cabbage and brussels sprouts. It is one of those few vegetables which originated in Europe. Kohlrabi (or Brassica oleracea) is a perennial plant as it is grown all throughout the year. It has a very cool and succulent stem, which can be consumed.
- 1 kg Kholrabi /Knol khol /Ganth Gobi
- 2 1/2 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Mustard [rai] seeds, coarsely ground
- 1/2 cup Mustard oil
For Parboiling the kohlrabi :
- 1 1/2 liter water
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt
Wash the Kholrabi / knol khol /ganth gobi thoroughly.Remove the leaves and lightly clean the outer surface of each Kholrabi /Knol khol /Ganth Gobi with lukewarm water , without peeling the gobi cut into 1/2 cm thick even slices. Cut each slice in two halves.
In a deep pan take 1 1/2 liters of water ,add 1 1/2 tbsp of salt. Place the pan covered on high flame. when water starts boiling put all the slices of Kholrabi /Knol khol /Ganth Gobi in the boiling water.
Let the pieces boil for a minute or two, switch off the stove. Strain the slices with the help of a strainer. Cover the strainer with a muslin cloth and leave it over night.
In a mixing bowl take mustard oil, 2 1/2 tbsp salt, red chili powder,turmeric powder and ground mustard powder. Mix all these ingredients well add par boiled Kholrabi /Knol khol /GanthGobi slices .Mix gently, ensuring the Kholrabi /Knol khol /GanthGobi slices are well coated with the spice mix.
Take a dry glass jar/ porcelain jar and fill in these masala / spice coated Kholrabi /Knol khol /GanthGobi pieces. Cover the mouth of the jar with a muslin cloth and keep it in the direct sunlight.
Keep in the sun for two to three days. The jar contents should be shaken or mixed well every day. The pickle is ready in three- four days. Serve with rice pilaf or Indian breads and curry of choice.
- Whether you’re using organic or mass-produced veggies Wash the vegetables by scrubbing the vegetables under lukewarm water .
- While cutting any vegetables for boiling,take care to cut the vegetables in to small even sized pieces . The smaller even sized pieces cook faster and nutrient loss is less
- Always cut the vegetables just before you’re ready to boil them,the vegetables remain fresh.
- Intensity of sunlight can speed up or slow down the process of pickle getting ready.
Medicinal benefits of Kholrabi /Knol khol /Ganth Gobi:
Kohlrabi has a rich content of nutrients and vitamins. Its nutrient content is summarized below:
- It has a rich content of anti-oxidants. This helps a great deal to fight cancer.
- It has a high content of dietary fiber. This helps in the smooth and effective functioning of your digestive system. It also cleanses your body.
- It makes the immune system of your body stronger, by stimulating certain enzymes which makes your immune system stronger, due to the presence of compounds in it like isothiocyanates and sulphoraphanes.
- It helps in curing diabetes. You should have a cup of an aqueous extract of this vegetable every morning if you are a diabetic patient.
- It has negligible amount of fats and calories, and has 0% cholesterol. Thus, it is very good for obese patients and those who are trying to slim down.
- It has a rich content of beta-carotene (rich source of Vitamin A), Vitamin C and Vitamin E. It contains ascorbic acid, which is a rich source of Vitamin C, and is also an anti-oxidant. It helps to kill harmful radicals in your body, thus fighting cancer. It is especially effective in curing colon cancer.Nutritional and dietary information
Kohlrabi is rich in nutrients. Its nutrient content is summarized below:
- Vital vitamins for the human body, like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B3 ( Niacin), Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid). It is also rich in folate.
- Protein and dietary fiber.
- It has a low content of fats and almost 0% cholesterol.
- It contains beta-carotene, which is a rich source of Vitamin A.
- It is rich in minerals and electrolytes like Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorous, Zinc and Selenium.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.