Yellow pumpkin /kashiphal/Seetaphal Halwa
Hi friends! An out of the ordinary delicious Halwa made with the goodness of pumpkins.
Cuisine: India, North India
Serves : 8
Recipe Cook Time :2 hours, 45 minutes Approximately
- 2 kg fresh Pumpkin/kashiphal/seetaphal (yellow)
- 1 1/2 liters milk
- 1 cup Almond- Slivered
- 2 tbsp Poppy seeds/ khus khus , washed and soaked in water for two hours
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5-7 tbsp Clarified butter /Cow’s milk ghee
Wash and peel the pumpkin. Cut the pumpkin into small cubes.
Take a thick bottom deep pan / wok put pumpkin pieces add 1000 ml milk .
Bring the milk to boil, cook the Pumpkin in milk on slow fire.As the milk starts evaporating, gradually keep on adding rest of the 500 ml milk and continue cooking on slow fire till pumpkin is well blended with milk.
Add the poppy seeds /khuskhus to the mixture.
Heat ghee in a heavy pan and fry the Almond flakes till light pink in colour. Add the cooked Pumpkin.
Cook over a low flame for 10-15 minutes more.
Stir in sugar and continue cooking until the halwa is having thick consistency, starts leaving the sides of the pan, switch off the stove.
Garnish with slivered almonds, serve hot.
Note: For Sugar free dessert sugar can be replaced with 2 cups of Splenda-( Sugar substitute/Sugar free)
Health benefits of Pumpkin:
- It is one of the very low calorie vegetables. 100 g fruit provides just 26 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol
- it is rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins. The vegetable is one of the food items recommended by dieticians in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.
- Pumpkin is a storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E.With 7384 mg per 100 g, it is one of the vegetables in the Cucurbitaceae family featuring highest levels of vitamin-A, providing about 246% of RDA. Vitamin A is a powerful natural anti-oxidant and is required by the body for maintaining the integrity of skin and mucus membranes.It is also an essential vitamin for good visual sight. Research studies suggest that natural foods rich in vitamin A help a body protects against lung and oral cavity cancers.
- It is also an excellent source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as α, ß carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein and zea-xanthin. Carotenes convert into vitamin A inside the body.Zea-xanthin is a natural anti-oxidant which has UV (ultra-violet) rays filtering actions in the macula lutea in retina of the eyes. Thus, it helps protect from “age-related macular disease” (ARMD) in the elderly.
- The fruit is a good source of B-complex group of vitamins like folates, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid.It is also rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.