Royal Makhana sabzi
Hi friends! Popular as a fasting food, its health benefits are superior to those of dry fruits such as almonds and walnuts. Some of the health benefits of makhana are: It’s a good source of protein, carbohydrates, fibre, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, iron and zinc. High in fiber and low in calories, it enables weight loss. Here is a delicious sabzi with the lotus seeds you will love to have on your menu often.
- 100 gms. Lotus seeds
- 150 gms Khoya
- 2 medium size Tomatoes
- 2 cups grated onions
- 1 tbsp Ginger , finely grated
- 1 tbsp Garlic, well mashed
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp clarified butter/ olive oil
- 2 peppercorns, finely powdered
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 3 Clove, powdered
- 1 tsp Fennel / saunf seeds, powdered
- 1/4 tsp Chili powder / or as per taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tea cup curd/yogurt
- 1 tsp Salt/ or as per taste
In a heavy bottom pan, put the ghee/ oil and when hot add the lotus seed stir fry until crisp over medium low flame. This takes 5-7minutes. Keep it aside.
Grate the khoya and dry roast in a heavy bottom pan on low flame (without any ghee) very lightly. Keep it aside.
Cut each tomato in two halves to blanch. In a pressure cooker take the cut tomatoes add 1/4 cup of water. On a high flame when full pressure is formed, switch off the stove. When pressure cooker cools down to room temperature, open the lid and take out the tomatoes in a small bowl, remove the skin from all four pieces with a fork and put them into a blender, and blend the mix. Keep the puree aside.
Heat the ghee in vessel and fry the onions till pink in colour, add the ginger, garlic, green chillies, turmeric, dhania powder and chilli powders and fry for 1minute on low flame.
Add the tomato puree, curds, khoya and salt mix well.
Add the fried makhanas and cook for a few minutes.Sprinkle the garam masala and cook again for 2 minutes. Serve hot with Indian breads of choice!..
Makhana ( Phool Makhana/ Lotus seeds) Makhana ( Phool Makhana/ Lotus seeds) Makhana, Phool Makhana, Foxnut, lotus seeds, Gorgon nut,Euryale Ferox different names, multiple health benefits. This is a native Asian water plant and is mainly cultivated for its edible seeds.
Health Benefits of Makhanas:
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.