Hi friends! Here is a very delicious recipe of tomato dal /or tomato pappu fro Andhra Pradesh. Andhra Pradesh is generally known for its tangy, hot and spicy taste, the cooking is very diverse due to the vast spread of the people and varied topological regions. Tomato dal /or tomato pappu is one of the most cooked lentil/dal/pappu varieties in Andhra cuisine. It is usually cooked with tuvar / toor dal, though it varies on individual’s choice. Dal is cooked with tomato till well blended and then seasoned with ghee or oil.
Course : Main
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Time: 15 minutes Cooking time
Total Time: 35 minutes
Cuisine: India, Andhra Pradesh
tomato dal or tomato pappu – andhra style tomato dal where pigeon pea lentils are cooked with tomatoes and other spices-herbs. slightly tangy and a flavorful dal best had with steamed rice.
- 1 tea cup Tuar dal/arhar dal/ pigeon pea lentil
- 1 small onion or ½ cup finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes ,finely chopped
- 2 Green chilies ,length wise slit and deseeded
- 2sprigs curry leaves /kadi patta
- 6-9 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1tsp ginger finely grated
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp of asafetida /hing
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp cooking oil /ghee
- 11/4 tsp salt /as per taste
- 1tsp Tamarind pulp
Wash and clean the Tuar/arhar dal /pigeon pea lentil and soak for 15-20 minutes.
In a pressure cooker heat cooking oil or ghee add the mustard seeds, as they start crackling add curry leaves, asafetida/Hing.
When asafetida/Hing turns light pink add the onions, and green chilies, sauté the onions till translucent. Add the grated ginger and garlic paste and sauté for a minute or so on low flame.
Add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, and salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
Add the lentil with the water it was soaked in, close the lid and pressure cook on high flame. The moment full pressure is formed reduce the heat to low flame. Cook for 20 minutes then switch off the stove.
Let the pressure cooker cool down to room temperature, remove the lid.
Add Tamarind pulp, mix and bring the cooked dal/ lentil to a boil, reduce the heat to low flame, stir well. Cook the dal/lentil for 8-10 minutes on a low . Switch off the stove.
Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Serve tomato dal/lentil hot with boiled white rice, lemon pickle, fried chilies, pachadi and papadams.
Health Benefits of Tuar/arhar dal /pigeon pea lentil :
How to Use Tuvar Dal ?
How to Store Tuvar Dal?
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.