Lobia phali / green Black-Eyed Bean with potatoes
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
200 grams fresh cluster beans (Lobia beans /phali)
2 medium size onions (finely chopped)
2 medium size potatoes (cut into small cubes)
1 pinch asafetida (heeng)
½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchoor)
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp coriander powder (dhaniya)
1/2 tsp level salt / or as per taste
1 tsp ginger paste (adrak) or 1 inch piece of ginger grated
3 tbsp oil
1/4 cup water
- Wash well the lobia beans/ phali , cut and remove both ends of each bean. Hold a bunch of dressed beans on the chopping board and cut the beans in to small pieces. Keep them aside.
- Peel the potatoes and wash them. Cut the potatoes in small cubes.
- Heat a thick bottom pan with two table spoons of oil. Once the oil gets hot, add asafetida fry a bit. When it is pink add cumin seeds.
- When cumin crackles add finely chopped onions. Fry the onions till golden add turmeric powder, coriander powder, and ginger paste.
- Mix well till the spices get a little fried. Now add chopped potatoes and beans to the pan.
- Add salt, amchoor and red chili powder.
- Keep stirring the dish for few minutes till all the spices gets mixed into the beans. Now add 1/4 cup water to the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook it on low flame till potatoes are cooked and soft to touch.
- Stir in the mango powder and garam masala, cook for two minutes. and switch off the heat.
- Serve hot with chapattis or boiled rice.
Note: We must cook the vegetable on slow heat and keep checking and stirring it after few minutes in between so that beans and potatoes get cooked evenly.