Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Makes 6 serving
- 1 1/2 cup besan (bengal gram flour)
- 2 medium onion , finely chopped
- 1″ ginger (adrak), finely grated
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 tsp salt / or salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- 2 cup curd / yogurt
- 1/4 cup gram flour (besan)
- 2/3 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 3-4 tsp dry mango powder / amchoor (dissolve in two tablespoons of water)
- 1/2 tsp cumin/ geera powder (roasted and powdered)
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1″ ginger (adrak) , finely grated
- 500 ml water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 2/3 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 tsp powdered hing/ asafetida
Add little water gradually to the besan in a bowl and make a thick consistency batter. Add finely chopped onions, grated ginger, coriander powder, carom seeds/ ajwain, chili powder, baking soda, and salt to the batter mix well.
Heat oil in a kadai, drop spoon full of batter in the hot oil and deep fry the pakoras till golden brown. Drain on an absorbent kitchen towel and keep aside.
Whisk or blend in a blender, curd/ yogurt , besan, turmeric powder, chili powder, amchoor and salt , blend thoroughly adding some water.Keep aside.
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a non stick pan. Add hing/ asafetida when turns pink add cumin seeds when the seeds start crackling add fenugreek seeds (don’t let fenugreek seeds over cook) Stir-fry for ½ minute.
Add yogurt mixture to the tempering along with rest of the water and bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cumin powder, gram masala and fried pakoras and continue to simmer for another 4-5 minutes.
Healthy and delicious dish , serve hot with boiled rice, onion salad and papad.
Health benefits of Gram flour / Besan:
1. Lowers diabetes– Besan is known to have very low levels of glycemic in it, which is great for those who have high diabetes. One can use the flour to make parathas and rotis, or replace the wheat flour to make desired dishes too.
2. Happy heart- Besan assures you with a happy heart, since it has high soluble fibre in it, which helps the heart stay strong and healthy for a very long time to come. Even the most reputed heart surgeons and specialists recommend the use of besan over any other flour for the heart, say experts
3. Lose weight now- Since besan has low glycemic index, the calorie count would be low too, which is why fitness freaks and experts swear by the consumption of besan, smoothie of besan is known as SATTU in India.
4. Fights allergies- Besan doesn’t have gluten in it, which is grain and especially wonderful for those who have allergies to gluten induced foods. Besan flour is highly nutritious and helps the body with immense benefits, especially when fighting allergies of any kinds.
5. Gluten free- Those who suffer from celiac ailments cannot have gluten, which is a protein. Gluten is found in barley and wheat extensively, but not in besan. Besan helps the immune system stay strong in the process, and the patient would be able to absorb all the nutrients as well as stay well nourished too.
6. No more anaemia to worry of- The flour of besan helps with fatigue, weight loss and even iron deficiency in the body, and we all know when someone has low iron content in the body, they suffer from anaemia.
7. Besan is also good for those who suffer from dermatitis herpetiformis, autoimmune disorders, sclerosis, autism, ADHD and more.
8. One can use besan for the skin with a pinch of turmeric powder and milk. The paste can be applied on the visible parts of the face and neck and left for ten minutes to dry. This is a pack which would help exfoliate the skin and brings back the moisturising effects too. Besan flour helps tighten the skin, gives it a glow and brings back elasticity too
9. As a body scrub, the flour of besan has been used time again since our grandmothers young hood days. To remove spots, back acne, body marks and oiliness of the body, try using the flour as a pack with milk and turmeric twice a week. This is a pack which would remove the tan and keep the skin healthy and fresh.
a. Besan flour when mixed with an egg or even with any essential oil and milk, and applied on the hair is a good hair pack. This would be a hair pack which rests on your hair for half an hour and when done twice a week, would bring back the bounce, shine and lustre too
b. Besan flour has plenty of vitamins and folate in it, which is mandatory for our bodies to have. It is these vitamins and minerals which helps with the normalcy of body functioning, and the growth or development of the human body too.
c. Expectant mothers or when a woman plans pregnancy, besan flour can actually be good for consumption, since it has a lot of B6 and thiamine in it. The latter helps with energising the body, and the former helps with the RBC synthesis too.
d. Minerals found in besan would be of great help for the body, especially the presence of phosphorus and magnesium. Both the elements are known for their importance and oxy transmitters and as antioxidants too. They also help with the collagen production and the relaxation of body muscles too.
e. Blood pressure can be regulated when you consume besan flour, say experts.
f. Bone strengthening too can be achieved when you consume besan flour
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.