Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Recipe type: main
- 2 cups long grained or basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup each (cauliflower, carrots, green peas, French beans )
- 1 big potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 1/2 cup water
- 2 to 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or / salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin Jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf / tej patta
- 2-3 cloves/ laung
- 1 black cardamom / badi elaichi
- 1 pinch of Nutmeg/ Jayaphal
- 1 inch cinnamon/ dal chini
In a deep sauce pan heat oil and fry all the whole spices for 2-3 minutes and a nice fragrance is emitted.
Add the onions and fry them till golden brown .
Add all the veggies, potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt, saute again for 4-5 minutes on a low flame.
Drain the rice add to the fried spices and vegetables and mix well.
Add four cups of water, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir.cover with well fitting lid and bring it to boil on high flame. Reduce the heat to low flame and let the rice cook till the water is absorbed and the rice is well cooked.
Switch off the stove and let the rice stand for 6-7 minutes.
Serve the vegetable pulao hot with some side dishes or raita.
Note: Aromatic, very delicious and wholesome,vegetable pulao is an easy and simple preparation, with Basmati rice.