Brinjal /baingan / eggplant – pakodas /Fritters
Hi friends! A mouth watering pakodas/ fritters. Crispy on top and soft and delicious inside any time snack!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes : 8-10 pakodas
Level : Easy
Cuisine: Indian, North Indian
- 1round brinjal /baingan / eggplant , cut into thin round slices
- 1/4 tsp chili powder, for marinating
- 1/4 salt or / salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
For The Batter:
- 1 1/2 cup besan/bengal gram flour/ chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup Rice flour
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds /ajwain
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- oil for deep frying
- Coriander / mint chutney for serving
Wash and cut thin round slices of the brinjal /baingan / eggplant. Keep aside.
Marinate the brinjal /baingan / eggplant slices , both side with the salt, chili powder and turmeric mixture and keep aside for 15 minutes.
In a bowl mix besan/bengal gram flour/ chickpea flour, Rice flour, ajwain /carom seed, coriander powder, baking soda, red chili powder, salt. Gradually add water to prepare a thick batter.
On medium flame, heat in a wok / kadahi or / pan enough oil to fry the sliced brinjal /baingan / eggplant .
When oil gets heated up dip and coat the marinated brinjal /baingan / eggplant slices with batter and deep fry in hot oil till it turns golden brown from all the sides.
Drain the pakodas on an absorbent kitchen towel, to drain the excessive oil and serve hot with coriander / mint chutney.
Health benefits of Eggplant (aubergine):
- Eggplant is very low in calories and fats but rich in soluble fiber content. 100 g provides just 24 calories but contributes about 9% of RDA (recommended daily allowance) of fiber.
- Research studies conducted at the Institute of Biology of São Paulo State University; Brazil suggested that eggplant is effective to control high blood cholesterol.
- The peel or skin (deep blue/purple varieties) of aubergine has significant amounts of phenolic flavonoid phyto-chemicals called anthocyanins. Scientific studies have shown that these anti-oxidants have potential health effects against cancer, aging, inflammation, and neurological diseases.
- Total antioxidant strength measured in terms of oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) of aubergines is 993 µmol TE/100 g. At value 15; they are one of the low glycemic index (GI) vegetables.
- It contains good amounts of many essential B-complex groups of vitamins such as pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxine (vitamin B6) and thiamin (vitamin B1), niacin (B3). These vitamins are essential in the sense that body requires them from external sources to replenish and required for fat, protein and carbohydrate metabolism.
- Further, this vegetable is an also good source of minerals like manganese, copper, iron and potassium. Manganese is used as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Potassium is an important intracellular electrolyte that helps counter pressing (hypertension) effects of sodium.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility