- 1 cup blanched and pureed spinach
- 2 cups milk
- 1 clove of garlic, mashed
- 11/2 tbsp fine flour/ Maida
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt or salt to taste
- 2 tsp fresh cream (optional)
In a pressure cooker place the washed and finely chopped spinach (palak) with 1/2 cup of water. Close the lid and pressure cook on high flame. The moment full pressure is formed (one whistle) switch the stove off.
When cool enough to handle, open the lid. Puree the spinach in a blender.
Heat butter in a non-stick pan. Add the mashed garlic and sauté for half a minute. Add all-purpose flour and stir fry on medium flame. When it gets a sandy texture remove from heat and cool.
Take boiling milk and pour into the fried, cold all purpose flour and butter mixture, stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Simmer gently for two minutes. Stir this white sauce, and then add pureed spinach.
Cook the mixture on medium flame for about 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Add salt, mix and switch off the heat.
Pour the soup in soup bowls and add freshly ground pepper on top. Serve hot.
Health benefits of Spinach / Palak:
Spinach is an excellent food loaded with tons of nutrients and a low calorie package. Greens like spinach are important for skin and hair, bone health, and provide protein, iron, vitamins and minerals.As per studies the possible health benefits of consuming spinach include improving blood glucose control in diabetics, lowering the risk of cancer, lowering blood pressure, improving bone health, lowering the risk of developing asthma and more.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.