What is Yam / elephant yam?
The elephant yam can be described as an edible tuber, which is one of the most widely consumed food crops, mainly in the tropical regions. This tuber is called elephant yam because the plant that it is derived from is quite huge and resembles the foot of an elephant to a great extent. Therefore, some of the other synonyms for the elephant yam are elephant foot yam, sweet yam and elephant bread. The highest consumption of the elephant yam is in Africa, followed by some Asian countries such as India. Although in the United States sweet potatoes are often mistaken for the elephant yam, the two are actually quite different, since they belong to two completely different plant families.
Hi friends!On the health and nutrition front, elephant yams are very high in carbs and are also good sources of proteins and certain vitamins. Elephant yam antioxidants make it a nutritious food to eat. Here is recipe for Yam/Jimikand Kebabs.
Difficulty level : Medium
Cuisine : North Indian
Course: Appetizers / snack
Prep Time : 25 minutes
Cook Time : 15 minutes
- 250 gm Yam, cut into tiny cubes
- 1 cup Bengal gram split and skinned / Chana Dal
- 2 small size Onions, finely Chopped Onions
- 3 tbs Corn flour
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Cilantro/Coriander , finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger , finely grated
- 1 tsp Garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- ½ tsp Aamchur/Dry Mango Powder
- ½ tsp Jeera/Cumin Powder
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 2/3 tsp Salt or / salt to taste
- 100 gms cottage cheese
- 2 tsp Melon Seeds
- 4 tbsp pista, coarsely ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
Peel and clean Yam / Jimikand, cut into small cubes wash it well.
On a high flame in a pressure cooker put yam with white vinegar and 1 cup of water . Close the lid, when full pressure is formed reduce the heat to low flame and cook for 5 minutes. Switch off the stove and let the pressure cooker cool to room temperature.
Open the lid drain yam and using a colander drain the water and wash the cubes under running water to remove some starch. place it in the food processor and grind into a fine paste. Lightly fry the ground yam in oil for 10 minutes. Switch off the stove and let cool it to room temperature.
On a high flame in a pressure cooker put washed chana dal with 3cups of water . Close the lid, when full pressure is formed reduce the heat to low flame and cook for1 5 minutes. Switch off the stove and let the pressure cooker cool to room temperature.
Open the lid strain chana dal using a colander, drain the water and mash the cooked dal into a coarse paste.
Add boiled and mashed chana dal, coriander, finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, gram masala, amchoor/ mango powder, salt, red chili powder to the yam and mix well.
Divide into 12 equal portions. and keep aside.
For the filling, mix 1/2 tsp salt to grated cottage cheese, green chilies, melon seeds and pista. Make roundels with it, cover each roundel with yam mix.
Press each kebab and make it flat. Coat each kebab lightly in corn flour and set aside.
Heat about 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry Yam kebabs in batches until golden brown on both sides. Between batches, add oil as needed.and shallow fry in oil. Serve with green chutney.
Elephant yam health benefits:
There are several elephant yam health benefits that are quite well known.
Given below are some of the most common elephant yam health benefits:
- The trace minerals and key minerals present in elephant yam include copper, zinc, selenium, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium.
• The fiber content in elephant yam is naturally high and therefore, it is usually considered a slimming food, as it promotes weight loss and reduces the levels of cholesterol in the body. If elephant yam is cooked in the right way, it can be eaten without any fear of weight gain.Several low fat elephant yam recipes are easily available through online resources as well as recipe books.
• It has a cooling effect on the body, which is why it is good for people who suffer from hypertension.
• Elephant yams are very high in omega 3 fatty acids; they help reduce the bad cholesterol in the body and increase the good cholesterol instead.
• People who are undergoing treatment for piles are usually advised to eat high amounts of elephant yam.
• The anti-coagulating properties present in yam can prevent the blood from clotting.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.