Green Peas Pilaf/ Matar Pulav
Hi friends ! Here is a delicious easy to cook and serve recipe using Basmati rice / long grain rice. Basmati rice has wonderful aroma, literally translated as ‘the fragrant one’ . Basmati rice is a unique species of rice originating from India. Just like all species of rice, basmati is available in white or brown versions, depending on the extent of the milling process. Like jasmine rice, it has its own unique smell. In the case of basmati, this smell is due to the presence of a chemical called 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline, which is found in basmati rice at about 90 parts per billion. That’s about 12 times more than in other types of rice, giving basmati its special aroma. Brown basmati rice is comparable to other types of brown rice in nutrient content (although it does contain about 20% more fiber compared to most other types of brown rice), and white basmati rice is comparable to other types of white rice.
Cooking time: 20 minutes approx.
Cuisine: Indian , North Indian
Course : main
- 250 gms uncooked long grain rice/ Basmati rice in India
- 225 gms onions, chopped thin lengthwise
- 2 cups / 200 gms shelled green peas / fresh or forzen
- 1 Cumin seed / Jeera
- 1 black cardamom/badi elaichi
- 2 small green cardamom/hari elaichi or choti elaichi
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1″ cinnamon stick / 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp gram masala
- 4 tbsp olive oil / any cooking medium
- 600 ml water
- 2 level tsp salt / or salt to taste
Wash the rice well and soak it for 15 minutes.
Shell the peas, keep aside. Cut the onion length wise and keep aside.
Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed vessel add cumin seed, when starts crackling add black and green cardamoms, and cinnamon. Fry for a few seconds.
Add chopped onions and fry on medium heat for few minutes till the onions are light golden brown.
Add to the above seasoning rice, green peas, water and salt, gram masala. Mix well and bring to boil on high heat. Once starts boiling, reduce heat and cook covered on low flame for 15-20 minutes or till all water evaporates and rice is well cooked.
Serve hot garnished with black pepper powder with bottle gourd raita or Indian curries of your choice!
Basmati rice is a healthy ‘supergrain’:
Basmati is gluten-free and low in fat. It contains all eight essential amino acids, folic acid, and is very low in sodium and has no cholesterol.
Basmati has a low to medium glycaemic index, meaning that energy is released at a slower, steadier rate leading to a more balanced level of e
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.