Kundru ki sabzi
A gherkin-like vegetable, Coccinia grandis, from Southern India and Indo-China, considered to be effective in lowering blood sugar levels. Kundru is a green vegetable also called tendli, tindora or ivy gourd. It is a great source of soluble fiber and is also rich in Vitamin A and C. Coccinia grandis, the ivy gourd, also known as baby watermelon, little gourd, gentleman’s toes, tindora is a tropical vine. It is also known as Cephalandra indica and Coccinia indica.
In India it is called Kundru in hindi ,“Tondekayi In Karnataka “, kovakkai in tamil , kovakka(കോവയ്ക്ക) in Kerala , in Assam kunduli , in Telugu it is called dondakaya.
History of Ivy Gourd / Kundru:
Ivy gourd is from time to time grown like a garden veggie within the exotic as well as sub-tropical parts of the entire world and was most likely brought to the Northern Territory just before European settlement. Modest populations are spread through the entire northern coastal parts of Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia. However, an invasion was documented from riparian vegetation along Wolston Creek within the western suburbs of Brisbane in February 2011, well away from previously known range of this particular species around Australia. Since that time it’s been noticed distributing from gardens in other regions of Brisbane (e.g. at Boondall and Sunnybank).
Hi friends! A quick and easy side dish with Ivygourd/Kundru that goes very well with both rice and chappathis.
Prep time-15 minutes
Cooking time-25 minutes
- 150 gms Kundru / tundlis /Ivygourd
- 2 potatoes medium size, sliced in wedges
- 2 onions medium size, finely chopped
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ginger, finely grated
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp dry mango powder/ amchoor
- 1/2 level tsp salt / or salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil for cooking
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped for garnishing
Wash and dry the kundru properly. Now slice the Kundru in four wedges (lengthwise). Keep aside.
Similarly cut the Potatoes and Onion in length. Keep aside
In a wok / kadahi/ or heavy bottom pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, when it starts crackling add asafetida/ Hing and fry for few seconds ( it should not become dark brown). Add chopped onions, sauté the onions till translucent add grated ginger, crushed garlic, chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric, sauté for few seconds more.
Add in the sliced wedges of potatoes into the wok / kadahi/ or heavy bottom pan. Sprinkle salt, mix well cover and cook on low flame. Let it cook until the potatoes are half cooked.
Add in the kundru wedges, stir and cover the pan. Cook Kundru and the potatoes until tender .
Once the vegetables are softened, add in the amchoor / dry mango powder. Mix the vegetable very well. Stir fry for another minute and turn off the heat. Transfer the Kundru sabzi into a serving bowl garnish with finely chopped coriander / cilantro leaves. Serve along with Dal / lentil and Indian bread of your choice or bowl of hot rice.
Note: The potatoes are added first, as it takes a little longer time to cook.
Ivy gourd, or even tendli since it is additionally referred to as, features a great number of cooking usages. Much like most veggies, they may be prepared in the number of ways prior to being cooked. A number of them are:
- The tendli is cut into tiny pieces or even bigger chunks or even cubes since the require might be, and included with a number of other veggies just like carrots or even potatoes to make curries.
- It might be grated and had along with cream sauce or even utilized in sandwiches.
- A distinctive type of cutting the tendli is cutting it in the spherical shape, to create tendli rings. These could be utilized in the huge number of recipes.
- You might also cut the tendli into halves, and take away the inner seeds and also have just the soft fleshy interior. You may even slice it with the aid of a sharp knife, as well as deep fry it together with Chilies. This is extremely typical in Mexico.
- In numerous parts of West Indies and South Asia, tendli is prepared together with potatoes, as well as served together with curd or even yoghurt, or might even be utilized in veggie preparations.
- Tendli may also be stuffed simply by taking out the seeds, as well as including numerous spices into it. Various combos could be tested, in accordance with your preference.
Health benefits of Ivy Gourd:
Ivy gourd has been considered as a therapeutic herb in traditional Thai as well as Ayurvedic medication. The parts utilized in diabetes treatment include the leaves; however the primary usage of ivy gourd is cookery, which is regarded as a veggie. Ivy gourd includes beta-carotene, an important vitamin A precursor from plant sources. Additionally it is regarded as an excellent source of protein and fiber. A number of the health advantages related to the ivy gourd are provided as follows:
- Possesses laxative characteristics
This particular vegetable is additionally created seize laxative qualities and increasing the bowel motions within our body. This particular property is mostly related to the beta carotene as well as Vitamin A stripped away from the plant of the vegetable. Because of this, it is also utilized to cure gonorrhea.
- Normalize blood sugar level
The ability of minimizing the blood sugar level can also be related to this particular veggie. This is particularly because of an essential liver enzyme contained in this particular food which standardizes the sugar metabolism within your body, by improving the glucose production. Therefore additionally it is of excellent assistance to the diabetic patients and is also strongly suggested for them.
- Healing certain diseases
Since times immemorial, the ivy gourd has been utilized like a cure for asthma, leprosy, bronchitis and jaundice.
- Ivy Gourd as Health Food
It is promoted like a health food in several parts of India due to its high-content of Vitamins. Each one of these vitamins is essential for the body of a human, and helps reinforce the defense mechanisms. It is abundant with Vitamin C, which will help in conditioning the bones. It’s got ß-carotene inside it that is a precursor of Vitamin A in body. Additionally, it consists of Vitamin B1 and B2.It is usually best to take Ivy Gourd together with meals throughout fever.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.