Bottle gourd curry
Some other names of Bottle gourd-lauki/Doodhi/ghiya
Hi friends! Bottle gourd-lauki/Doodhi/ghiya is one of the well known vegetables in the market which has wonderful taste. Along with its tastes, it also has variety of health benefits. Please add this new simple yet delectable curry to your menu.
- 400 gms Bottle gourd /lauki/Doodhi
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 6 pods of garlic, mashed
- 3 tbsp Popy seeds/Khuskhus/posta
- 1 /2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal/ husked black gram lentil
- 1/4 tsp Nigella/Kalonji/onion seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds, powdered
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder /Haldi
- 3 green chilies, remove seeds, cut into tiny pieces
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup Milk , low fat
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1level tsp Salt / or to taste
- 3tbsps Cilantro/ Coriander leaves/Dhania, finely chopped
Wash peel and cut the Bottle gourd /lauki/Doodhi into small cubes. In a pressure cooker put the cut Bottle gourd /lauki/Doodhi and add 1/4 cup of water, close the lid. Place the cooker on high flame. As soon as the full pressure is formed switch off the stove.
Let the pressure cooker cool to room temperature, take the steamed Bottle gourd /lauki/Doodhi cubes in a bowl. Keep aside.
In a non-stick pan heat oil , add the cumin seeds, cumin seeds. As soon as it crackles, add onions and mashed garlic, urad dal. Sauté for few minutes till onions are translucent/ light golden brown in colour add salt, Nigella/Kalonji/onion seeds , fenugreek powder, cut green chilies and turmeric powder.
Cook the spices it for about 1-2 minutes more and then add cubed Bottle gourd /lauki/Doodhi and mix it well. Make sure that the Bottle gourd /lauki/Doodhi cubes get coated with the masala , add powdered poppy seeds/khuskhus/posta to the pan. Now cover the pan and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes.
After 1-2 minutes, add the milk to the pan and cook it for more 2-3 minutes. Switch off the stove. Take out the vegetable in a serving bowl , garnish it with finely chopped coriander. Serve hot with chapatti or boiled white rice for a appetizing meal.
Health Benefits of Bottle gourd/ Lauki/Doodhi:
Bottle Gourd has multiple health benefits, few of them are:
- Bottle gourd is rich in dietary fiber, both, soluble and insoluble. Hence, it helps in curing constipation, flatulence and even piles. It is also easy to digest.
- It promotes weight loss. The vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre in lauki keep the body well-nourished and curb unnecessary appetite, especially if you drink its juice in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Its fat and cholesterol content is extremely low.
- It consists of approximately 96% of water and is therefore a great thirst quencher. It also prevents fatigue and keeps the body cool and refreshed during summers.
- Apart from the iron content it is also rich in vitamin B and C, and helps in anti-oxidative actions.
- It also contains sodium, potassium, essential minerals and trace elements, which regulate blood pressure and prevent the risk of heart ailments.
- High in sodium and potassium, bottle gourd is also an excellent vegetable for people with hypertension.
- It is a suitable vegetable for light, low-calorie diets as well as for children, people with digestive problems, diabetics and those recovering from an illness or injury.
- Bottle gourd is recommended by Ayurveda physicians for balancing the liver function, when the liver is inflamed and unable to process food efficiently for nutrition and assimilation.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.