Choliya / Fresh Green Chana curry
Hi friends! Choliya / Fresh Green Chanas are popular in all parts of the world however, mostly people are familiar with beige color chickpeas, popularly known as garbanzo beans. Green chana or green garbanzo, most commonly known as Punjabi choliya is entirely different from its counterpart, its fresh. The fresh Choliya / Fresh Green Chanas tastes the best. Another recipe in my routine cooking for health benefits and wonderful taste. Fresh green chickpeas are the winter food that tastes super good, a Popular seasonal treat of India.
200 gms choliya /green chana
200 gms Cottage cheese/paneer, cut into cubes
2 medium size onions/1 cup grated onions
2 medium size tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric/haldi powder
1level tsp red chili powder/ or to taste
1 tbsp ginger , finely grated
1 tbsp garlic, mashed
2 tbsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp roasted and powdered cumin seed/ jeera
2 tbsp cilantro/dhaniya, finely chopped
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp salt/ or as per taste
2 1/2 cups water
Wash the fresh green chanas/choliya and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add and fry the grated onions until lightly. Add grated ginger, garlic paste and fry till the color changes to golden brown.
Now add finely chopped tomatoes, salt, coriander powder, cumin/jeera powder, turmeric and red chili powder.
Let it cook on low flame till the masalas are well fried. Add cubed Cottage cheese/paneer pieces, choliya, and 2 1/2 cups of water. Mix well.
Close the cooker lid, when it comes to full pressure, reduce the heat to low flame and cook for 15 minutes.
Switch off the heat and let the pressure cooker come to room temperature. Serve hot garnished with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves.
Other Culinary Uses:
· Hara Chana is best eaten raw or roasted or boiled.
· Sauté some in olive oil, which softened them, put sea salt on them, and enjoy the taste.
· Can be tossed into stir-fries, sautés, and salads.
· Combined with sweetcorn and some green or red bell pepper also makes an awesome chat.
The green chick peas have a wealth of nutrients like energy, protein, calcium and iron
Fresh green chickpeas or choliya contain vitamins C, E, K and B-complex vitamins, folate, and the minerals magnesium, zinc and pantothenic acid. Fresh chick peas are high in dietary fibers too.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.