Sarson ki bhurji Makki ki Roti
Main Name: Mustard Green
Biological Name: Brassica juncea
Names in other Languages: Mostaza (Spanish), Moutarde (French), Sarson ka sag (Hindi), Kadugu ilai (Tamil), Kadugu ila (Malayalam), Ava akulu (Telugu), Rai Ni Bhaji (Gujarati), Sorisa sag (Bengali), Mohari-chi pan (Marathi), Sarson-da-sag (Punjabi), Sarson ka sag (Urdu)
Hi friends! Winter is a very good season to eat seasonal delicacies that are not only finger-licking good, but are also packed with multiple benefits that help you stay warm and strengthens your immunity. Winter chills may sometimes lead to mineral deficiencies in the body which need to be supplemented through proper diet. Comfort food like Mustard Greens/ Sarson ka saag with makki ki roti are well-known for their nutritional properties.
- 500 gms Mustard Greens/ Sarson ka saag
- 18 cloves of Garlic
- 2 tsp ginger, finely grated
- 3 Green chillis, finely chopped
- 2 tsp corn flour / makki ka aata
- 3 tbsp curd / yogurt/ Dahi
- 1/4 tsp hing / asafetida
- 1tsp Cumin seeds/jeera, finely powdered
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 2/3 tsp Salt / or as per taste
- 3 to 4 tbsp mustard Oil
Take Mustard Greens/ Sarson ka saag leaves, wash them and finely chop them and keep aside.
Now in a blender take garlic cloves, one green chili and grind them into a fine paste.
In a wok / kadahi/ pan, take mustard oil when oil smokes reduce the flame, put hing / asafetida, add garlic chili paste, cumin seeds powder, coriander powder, salt and turmeric powder. Fry this on medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
Add finely chopped Mustard Greens/ Sarson ka saag leaves to it and cook covered on medium/low flame till it is well blended and cooked.
Mix 3 tbsp curd / yogurt/ Dahi with 2 tsp of corn flour. Add it to the bhurji and mix well.
Cover the lid and cook for 4-5 minutes more. Serve hot with Makki ki roti.
How many calories in mustard greens (per 100 gm):
Mustard greens have about 20 calories per 100 gm of weight.
How to Buy Mustard Greens/ Sarson ka saag:
- Always try to purchase green colored mustard greens instead of opting for the red or purple colored leaves.
- Make sure that the mustard greens you have purchased are fresh and crisp.
- The green color of mustard greens should be lively. Avoid buying mustard leaves which have yellow or brown spots on the surface.
Mustard Green Storage Tips:
- Do not store freshly purchased mustard greens for more than 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Keep your mustard greens inside a plastic bag before placing it in the refrigerator. Make sure that all the air from the plastic bag has been removed before storing the mustard greens.
Health Benefits of Mustard Greens/ Sarson ka sag :
- Mustard green is known for its detoxification qualities. The sulfur-containing nutrients, phytonutrients and glucosinolates, present in mustard greens help to activate the detoxification enzymes in the human body and also regulate their activities. The detox support is directly related to the risk of acquiring cancers of the bladder, breast, colon, lung, prostate and ovarian. No detoxification in our bodies means that cells will eventually become cancerous.
- Mustard green is also one of the best known antioxidants available in the market. The antioxidant support given by mustard green helps in reducing the risk of oxidative stress in the body cells.
- Mustard green is also known for its anti-inflammatory benefits which help in building the messaging molecules in the body.
- The anti-inflammatory qualities of mustard greens assist in the prevention of several cardiovascular diseases, like heart attacks, ischemic heart diseases, and atherosclerosis.
- Regular consumption of mustard greens is beneficial for lowering the amount of cholesterol in the human blood; thus, leading to a healthy heart. Consuming steamed mustard leaves increases the rate of cholesterol lowering ability, thereby preventing unwanted inflammation that can otherwise cause problems for blood vessels and blood circulation, leading heart attack and ischemic heart disease.
- With many vitamins and minerals present in mustard greens, they promote proper functioning of the immune system and other bodily processes, regulate digestive processes, develop bones and other ligaments connecting the bones, and monitoring the bowels and digestive tract.
- The presence of vitamin E in mustard greens in significant amounts is excellent for taking care of skin and hair by giving you healthy skin and lustrous, strong hair.
- Mustard greens have considerable value in treating a number of disorders, like gout, sciatica, menopause symptoms, neuralgia, asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, bruises, tendonitis, flu, common cold, eruptive sores and boils.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.