Spinach / Palak Poori
Hi friends! Enjoy poori made with spinach dough. Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, copper, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin E, calcium, potassium and vitamin C. It is a very good source of dietary fiber, phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc, protein and choline.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes 20 –24 puris
- 2 cups whole wheat flower
- 1 cup Palak leaves, pureed
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 Green chilies, fine paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed, roasted and powdered
- 3 tbsp olive oil or / cooking oil of your choice
- Oil for deep frying
In a bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, and salt, coriander powder, green chili paste, cumin seed powder , add Olive oil to the mixture, using fingers, mix in oil till it resembles bread crumbs. Add palak leave puree.
Slowly add about half a cup of water or little more, just enough to form a firm/ stiff dough and knead till smooth. keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
Divide the dough into small lemon size, equal portions, and roll out into 3″ rounds on an oiled board.
Heat the oil for deep frying, in a wok or kadhai, fry the puri one at a time, holding them under the oil on the first side until they puff. Turn and deep-fry the puris till they turn light golden brown in colour from both the sides.
Drain on absorbent paper kitchen towel lined plate, so that puris are dry, without excessive oil.
Serve hot, goes very well with Vegetable, potato stews / aloo sabzi etc.
Health benefits of Spinach / Palak:
Spinach is an excellent food loaded with tons of nutrients and a low calorie package. Greens like spinach are important for skin and hair, bone health, and provide protein, iron, vitamins and minerals.
As per studies the possible health benefits of consuming spinach include improving blood glucose control in diabetics, lowering the risk of cancer, lowering blood pressure, improving bone health, lowering the risk of developing asthma and more.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.