It is a high protein, nutritious Rajma/red kidney beans preparation. Tastes very good with boiled / steamed rice.
Preparation Time : Soaking over night +15-20 minutes
Cooking time :30- 40 minutes
Servings : 5-6
Main Ingredients: Rajma /Red kidney beans, tomatoes and Onions
Cuisine: North Indian , Punjabi
Course: Main,Dals and currys
Level Of Cooking: Medium
- 1 cup Rajma/red kidney beans (soaked overnight)
- 2 medium Onions,finely chopped
- 4 medium size Tomatoes,cut and pureed
- 1 tablespoon Coriander powder
- 1tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds, roasted and powdered
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves, powdered
- 2 Black cardamom seeds powdered
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder or / 1″ stick of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 11/2 level tsp Salt or / salt to taste
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 inch piece Ginger ,grated
- 15 Garlic cloves,finely crushed
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnishing
On a full flame place the pressure cooker on the stove with Rajma/red kidney beans and three glasses of water, chopped onions and salt. The moment pressure is formed, reduce to low flame, cook for twenty five minutes. Switch off the stove, let the pressure cooker cool to room temperature. Open the lid and check, Rajma/red kidney beans will be totally cooked and soft.
Heat oil in a deep pan and put cumin seeds, when it starts to crackle,add bay leaves, powdered cloves,cinnamon and black cardamom seeds, saute for a few seconds, add coriander powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Add crushed garlic cloves, grated ginger, tomato puree and saute for a few minutes more. Keep stirring on slow flame and continue to cook till the oil surfaces on the masala.
Add cooked Rajma/red kidney beans to the masala and mix. Adjust salt and add garam masala powder. Lower the heat and simmer for about fifteen to twenty minutes on low heat.
Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.Serve hot with boiled/ steamed rice, pulaos ,biryanis or with any Indian bread of your choice.
Health benefits of Rajma/red kidney beans:
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.