Kheera /Cucumber Raita
Hi friends! Here is a simple, delicious and very healthy recipe of an Indian side dish of yogurt/curd/Dahi containing grated cucumber and spices. A no flame ,very healthy, tasty, easy to follow curd based recipe.This preparation provides protein. Natural live cultures are good for body.
Prep Time: Under 15 min
Course: Main course,Side dish
Serves: 4 people
- 3 cups plain Yogurt
- 1 medium size cucumber (half grated and half chopped)
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp finally chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp low sodium salt/or to taste (low sodium salt is good for health)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
Wash and peel cucumber. Grate one half of the cucumber in a bowl and chop second half of the cucumber in to small cubes in the same bowl.
Take the yogurt in a mixing bowl, beat it to a smooth texture.
Add the salt, cumin powder, pepper to the beaten curd.
Mix or fold in the grated and cubed cucumber and mix well.
Refrigerate till served. Serve as a side dish with all the rice preparations and Indian breads .
Health benefits of cucumbers:
Cucumbers are a good source of B vitamins.
Cucumbers are 95 percent water, keeping the body hydrated while helping the body eliminate toxins. Cucumbers have most of the vitamins the body needs in a single day.
Cucumber cures diabetes, reduces cholesterol and controls blood pressure. Cucumber juice contains a hormone which is needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin which has been found to be beneficial to diabetic patients.
Researchers found that a compound called sterols in cucumbers may help reduce cholesterol levels.
Cucumbers contain a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber. These work effectively for regulating blood pressure. This makes cucumbers good for treating both low blood pressure and high blood pressure.
Health benefits of curd:Being rich in calcium, curd is good for the health of bones as well as the teeth. For those who have difficulty in the digestion of lactose in milk, yogurt is an important source of calcium. Curd contains an enzyme which breaks down lactose to aid proper digestion.Curd / Yogurt is rich in vitamin D which helps our body to absorb and use calcium.Curd / Yogurt helps you feel fuller and is thus, a very good snack for those trying to lose weight.
Eating curd / yogurt on a regular basis can help absorb the nutrients in other foods as well.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.