Lauki /Ghiya / Bottle gourd Raita
Hi friends! Here is a simple, delicious and very healthy recipe of an Indian side dish of yogurt/curd/Dahi containing grated steamed bottle gourd and spices.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: Under 15 minutes
Course: Main,side dish
Serves: 4 people
- 3 Cups Curd / Yogurt or 500 gms curd/ yogurt
- 1 1/2 cup grated Ghiya (lauki)
- 1tsp Cumin (jeera roasted and powdered) powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard powdered
- 1/2 tsp salt/ or salt to taste
Grate ghiya with a grater,keep aside.
Boil grated ghiya in three cups of water till soft (6-7 minutes), drain in a strainer and cool it.
Mix the curd with a beater. If curd is thick mix little milk.
Now add salt, cumin powder and pepper powder in the beaten curd.Fold in the boiled ghiya, mix well.
Keep refrigerated till served.Sprinkle powdered mustard on it.
Serve ghiya raita chilled as a side dish with boiled rice, rice pulaos, chapattis, parothas, and all other Indian breads.
A bowl of fresh curd and veggies (Raitas)is a great accompaniment to lunches and dinners. Add sour curd to salads which make it taste better.
Sour curd is added to vegetable curries instead of tomatoes to make it rich and delicious.
Health benefits of curd:
Being rich in calcium, curd is good for the health of bones as well as the teeth. For those who have difficulty in the digestion of lactose in milk, yogurt is an important source of calcium. Curd contains an enzyme which breaks down lactose to aid proper digestion.
Curd / Yogurt is rich in vitamin D which helps our body to absorb and use calcium.
Curd / Yogurt helps you feel fuller and is thus, a very good snack for those trying to lose weight.
Eating curd / yogurt on a regular basis can help absorb the nutrients in other foods as well.
Health benefits of bottle gourd/lauki:
This South Asian bottle gourd is bottle shaped, light green and long. The flesh inside is spongy. Bottle gourd or lauki is over 90% water therefore it is easy to digest.
It contains many vitamins and minerals, such as, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, Vitamin A, C and folate.
It is extremely popular for weight loss. Especially the bottle gourd or lauki juice.
Bottle gourd is extremely popular for reducing high blood pressure and keeping your heart healthy
Lauki or bottle gourd is known to combat excessive thirst in diabetic patients.
The fiber and the minerals in the bottle gourd or lauki supports healthy digestion and combats flatulence and combats constipation.
Bottle gourd is recommended by Ayurvedic doctors for reducing liver inflammation.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.