Spicy Masoor Dal
Hi friends! It is a delicious lentil made with tomato and spices. Masoor dal can be cooked in the combination of various other vegetables such as beans, cauliflower, green peas, etc. also.
Preparation time: 10 mins.
Cooking time: 10 mins.
- 1/2 cup masoor /whole red lentil, husked masoor whole
- 2 medium size onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 1/2″ piece ginger , finely grated
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 level tsp salt / or salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp pure ghee
- 1 tbsp coriander /dhania/Cilantro, finely chopped for garnishing
- 12 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium size onion, finely sliced
Wash the masoor dal very well, soak in 500 ml water for fifteen minutes.
In a pressure cooker, take Olive oil heat add cumin . When cumin starts to crackle, add asafetida fry for a few seconds, till it is light pink in colour. Add the chopped onions, add the tomatoes, fry for 3-4 minutes.
Add coriander, turmeric, chili powder, fry for few seconds, add soaked dal with water, salt and close the lid, cook on high flame, after the pressure is formed, reduce heat to low flame, cook for one minute only. Cool the pressure cooker to room temperature.
Open the lid of pressure cooker, take out the dal in a medium size bowl. Heat the ghee in a pan add the sliced onions sauté for 4-5 minutes, till light golden.
Add the finely chopped garlic, fry for 3 to 4 minutes, add gram masala, fry for few seconds.
Put the above tempering in to the dal . Serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander. It is very delicious spicy dish. Serve with all Indian breads or boiled rice.
Health benefits of Masoor dal:
Packed with protein, fiber, iron, folate, and other important nutrients, lentils are the storehouse of nutrition offering you numerous health promoting benefits and longevity as well.Masoor dal is an ideal food addition to your weight loss diet because it is low in fat and contains high amounts of fiber. Eating fiber rich foods controls your appetite by giving you the feeling of fullness which lasts for a long period of time. Masoor dal helps in loseing weight, protects the heart, and is good for diabetics.
Red lentils improve digestive health, reduce cancer risk,boost your immune power,reduce inflammation,and are healthy for eyes.Red lentils boost energy,and is good for strong bones and teeth.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.