Husked Black Gram lentil-Hindi Name: Dhuli Urad:
Husked Black gram is popularly sold as white lentil in the market. It is obtained by removing the skin of black gram. They are small black and narrow lentils somewhat cylindrical in shape. Since it is made from black gram it is only cultivated in India and is commonly used in Indian cooking. Also called as urad, it is also very popular in Punjabi cuisine of India.
Hi friends!Urad dal Vada is a popular breakfast or snack dish in south India. The delicious vadas are served with sambar and coconut chutney.
Soaking the dal : 45-50 minutes
Cook time: 45 mins
Recipe type: breakfast, snacks
Cuisine: south Indian/ North Indian
Gives: 8-10 vadas
- 1 cups urad dal/ husked black gram (soaked for 45 minutes)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2/3 tsp salt / or salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup water if needed to make the batter
Soak the urad dal for at least 4o -50 minutes .(can soak dal overnight also). Drain and grind the urad dal to a smooth batter.
In the grinder jar, some water needs to be added. Try and add very little water. The batter should become fluffy, thick.
Add salt, cumin seed. Mix well.
Heat oil for frying the vadas. Take a empty bowl cover it with a hanky size muslin cloth. Gather and hold the cloth tightly under the bowl such as the cloth is stretched tightly on the bowl. Keep a small bowl of water next to you. Apply some water from the bowl the stretched cloth as well as your hand.
Since you are holding the stretched cloth bowl in your left hand, take some batter in your right hand from the bowl put it on the stretched cloth and pat the batter gently to give it a round shape, making a hole in the center with your index finger ( with the hole in the center, vadas will be cooked well from inside and not leave a wet core! you can also use polythene zip lock bags to give the vada shape).
Gently slid the vada in to the oil. The oil should be not very hot, frying is done on medium flame.(very hot oil will quickly make the vadas brown from outside but they will remain uncooked from inside. )
Fry all the vadas this way till they are fried evenly brown and crisp. Drain vadas on paper kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
Serve the vadas, hot with coconut chutney/ sambar.
Note: A tip to add a few drops of batter in a bowl of water. The batter drop should float, if they float and do not get dissolved, then that’s the right consistency. If the batter becomes watery, then quick control measure will be to add some semolina to the batter.
Health Benefits of Urad Dal/ Black gram lentil:
- It is highly valued due to its numerous health benefits. For example, Urad dal has protein, fat, and carbohydrates which is required by the body. If you are looking for a protein-friendly diet, then opt for urad dal.
- This dal is one of the richest sources of proteins and Vitamin B. Urad dal is also good for women as it has iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, potassium which makes it a healthy pulse.
- For those who do not eat meat or fish, have black gram as it is rich in protein which is much required by the body. For strong bones and a healthy body, have urad dal.
- Urad dal is also rich in fibre which makes it easy to digest.
- Some types of dals are good for the heart as well. For example, urad dal benefits the health as it is good for the heart. Consuming urad dal helps to reduce cholesterol and improves cardiovascular health.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.
2 thoughts on “Urad Dal/Husked Black Gram Vada”
You information has been of great help, nice work
Thank you 🙂 Really glad! Keep checking the blog for the latest 🙂