Hi friends!Channa dal vada is a very popular snack of South India, served with a cup of hot tea. Here is a very easy recipe which can be prepared easily.
Preparation time: 30 Minutes
Cooking time : 15 Minutes
Recipe Type: Vegetarian
- 1 cup Chana Dal / Bengal gram Dal
- 2 Green Chilies finely chopped
- 2 large size Onions finely chopped
- 1 ” Ginger piece grated
- 6-8 Curry Leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Oil for deep frying
• 2/3 tsp Salt / or Salt to taste
Soak Chana dal overnight or for at least 3-4 hours.
Grind the dal coarsely, without or very adding little water. Make sure it doesn’t become smooth paste. Remove from the grinder into a mixing bowl.
Finely chop green chilies, chopped onions, grated ginger, chopped curry leaves, cumin seed and salt to the ground dal. Mix well, keep aside.
Take about two table spoon of ground dal, make small balls with the dal mix on the left palm. Pat it flat with the right hand , not too thick or not too thin.
Take oil for deep frying in a kadhi / pan, heat the oil.
Gently slide the flattened dal mix into the hot oil. Deep fry the vadas on a medium flame till golden. Drain the vadas on paper kitchen towel. Serve hot with coconut chutney / coriander chutney.
Note: It is better to fry vadas on a medium flame, so that vadas get cooked well and there is no uncooked core.
Health Benefits of Chana Dal:
- Chana dal is high in fiber and helps to lower cholesterol.
- It also has a very low hypoglycemic index, which is important for those with diabetes.
- Chana dal is a helpful source of zinc, folate, calcium and protein.
- It is low in fat and most of it is polyunsaturated.
- Chana dal is extremely delicious in taste, full of nutritious and can be digested easily.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.