(vegetable Cutlets with oats)
What Are Oats and Oatmeal?
Oats are a whole-grain food, known scientifically as Avena sativa. Oat groats, the most intact and whole form of oats, take a long time to cook. For this reason, most people prefer rolled, crushed or steel-cut oats.
Hi friends! Oats Tikki or oats cutlet is easy and healthy snack made with oats, potato, mixed vegetables and spices.
- 3 medium size Boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1 cup White oats ( I used quaker’s)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Green peas
- 1/2 cup French beans finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Broccoli cut in to small florets
- 8 Almonds finely cut
- 1/4 tsp Red chili powder
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 level tsp Salt/ or to taste
- 1/2 cup Semolina
Take the mixed vegetables in a pressure cooker add 1/4 cup water and 1/4 tsp salt. Place the cooker on the high flame, as soon as pressure is formed, switch off the stove. Cool the cooker, open and take out the vegetables, keep aside.
Boil and mash potatoes, mix in steam cooked vegetables. Add white oats, salt, chili powder, chopped coriander. Mix the ingredients well.
Shape into medium size cutlets . Roll the cutlets in semolina . Cook both sides adding cooking oil slowly on slow fire till golden brown (preferably nonstick tava/ plate/ pan) .
Serve hot with coriander chutney.
- Oats Are Incredibly Nutritious
They are a good source of carbs and fiber, including the powerful fiber beta-glucan. They also contain more protein and fat than most grains . Oats are loaded with important vitamins, minerals and antioxidant plant compounds.
- Whole Oats Are Rich in Antioxidants, Including Avenanthramides
Whole oats are high in antioxidants and beneficial plant compounds called polyphenols. Most notable is a unique group of antioxidants called avenanthramides, which are almost solely found in oats.
- Oats Contain a Powerful Soluble Fiber Called Beta-Glucan
Oats contain large amounts of beta-glucan, a type of soluble fiber. Beta-glucan partially dissolves in water and forms a thick, gel-like solution in the gut.Oats are high in the soluble fiber beta-glucan, which has numerous benefits. It helps reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels, promotes healthy gut bacteria and increases feelings of fullness.
- They Can Lower Cholesterol Levels and Protect LDL Cholesterol From Damage
Heart disease is the leading cause of death globally. One major risk factor is high blood cholesterol.Oats may lower the risk of heart disease by reducing both total and LDL cholesterol levels and protecting LDL cholesterol from oxidation.
- Oats Can Improve Blood Sugar Control
Type 2 diabetes is a common disease, characterized by significantly elevated blood sugars. It usually results from decreased sensitivity to the hormone insulin.Oats may help lower blood sugar levels, especially in people who are overweight or have type 2 diabetes . Due to the soluble fiber beta-glucan, oats may improve insulin sensitivity and help lower blood sugar levels.
- Oatmeal is Very Filling and May Help You Lose Weight
Not only is oatmeal (porridge) a delicious breakfast food — it’s also very filling. Eating filling foods may help you eat fewer calories and lose weight. Oatmeal may help you lose weight by making you feel more full. It does this by slowing down the emptying of the stomach and increasing production of the satiety hormone PYY.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.