Yummy lauki / ghiya/ bottle gourd Ki Sabzi
Hi friends ! Bottle gourd, also called lauki / Ghiya or /doodhi, is a vegetable that is probably known in India for its delicious preparations. Here is a simple, easy to cook and delicious recipe of lauki / ghiya/ bottle gourd / Doodhi . You will try it once, it will remain on your party menu for ever!
Recipe Servings: 4
Recipe Cook Time : 30 minutes
Course : Main, Vegetable dish
Cuisine : Indian , North Indian
- 500 gms lauki / ghiya/ bottle gourd, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp jeera /cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup milk cream
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 level tsp salt or/ salt to taste
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts, roasted and ground
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves fresh /hara dhania finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
Heat the oil in a wok / kadahi and add the jeera, when jeera begins to splutter, add the cut Lauki pieces , salt and stir continuously over high flame, till the Lauki cubes looks a bit glossy.
Cover and cook on low flame till lauki is tender, stirring in between a few times.
Add the cream, ground cashew nuts mix well and cook for two minutes more, till well blended. Serve hot garnished with, black pepper powder, chopped green chilies, coriander leaves with any Indian bread of choice!
Health benefits of Lauki /Ghiya /Bottle gourd:
In fact, traditional healers recommended consumption of this bottle gourd to treat various conditions. Here are some of its benefits you must know.
Aids digestion: People suffering from constipation should eat bottle gourd as it is high in fibre and helps clear the food stuck in your colon. Additionally, juice made out of bottle gourd also helps in the treatment of acidity as it is alkaline in nature .
Great for weight loss :Bottle gourd is one of the best foods you can have if you want to lose weight as it is 96% water, and a 100g serving contains as little as 12 calories. The high fibre content will take care of your hunger, and keep you feeling full.
Helps treat urinary disorders: Bottle gourd has a cooling effect on your body, and a glass of bottle gourd juice is a great diuretic that can be used to treat burning sensation while passing urine. This burning sensation is caused due to high levels of acid in the urine, which can be countered by the alkaline nature of bottle gourd juice.
Refreshes you during summers: Just like cucumber, bottle gourd too has a high amount of water which keeps you hydrated during summers. Drinking a glass of its juice will ensure that you do not face loss of sodium, fatigue or extreme thirst while you are out in the sun. This makes it great for people whose jobs require them to travel in daylight.
Prevents heart disease: Unhealthy lifestyles are leading to several cases of heart disease in urban India. So much so that, 70% of the urban population is at risk of heart disease due to wrong lifestyle choices like eating fried and processed foods, smoking, etc. Like a lot of fruits and vegetables, bottle gourd has zero cholesterol and is rich in vitamins like vitamin C and antioxidants making it good for your heart .
Reduces stress: It is quite easy to feel stressed in today’s times, and unhealthy eating can only worsen the situation. Bottle gourd has a high water content has a cooling effect on your body which makes you feel better the very moment you take it. It also has diuretic, sedative and antibilious properties which makes your body feel better internally, and keeps stress at bay.
Warning: Even though, bottle gourd is really good for your health, it can sometimes be bad. Bottle gourd juice that tastes bitter can seriously damage your digestive health according to a study published in Indian Journal of Gastroenterology in 2011.
Nick’s kitchen Medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition, Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.