Bhindi / okra/ lady finger Raita
Hi friends! Here is a simple,delicious and very healthy recipe of an Indian side dish of yogurt containing fried Bhindi / okra/ lady fingerpieces and spices.
- 2 cups Curd / Yogurt /dahi
- 150 gms. Bhindi/ okra /lady finger, chopped circular
- 1 tsp fresh coriander paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin/ Jeera, roasted, powdered
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or / salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp red chilies powder
- oil for deep frying okra
- 1/2 t-spoon Mustard seeds
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 1/2 cup water
Wash very well Bhindi/ okra /lady finger. Dry on a paper kitchen towel, trim both the ends, cut into slightly thickl circular discs. Keep aside.
Take a wok / kadahi and add oil to it, heat oil , put chopped Bhindi /Lady finger/Okra gently in the hot oil and fry it on medium-high heat. When well fried, drain on a paper kitchen towel and keep aside.
Take curd / yogurt in a medium sized bowl. Whisk the curd / yogurt with a blender or fork until it is smooth. Add water if curd / yogurt is too thick and blend well.
Add fresh coriander pate, cumin powder, pepper powder, salt, red chili powder to the whisked curd, mix it well.
Now, in the spiced curd / yogurt and gently fold in the fried Bhindi / Okra /Lady finger.
Heat a table spoon oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds and when mustard seeds start spluttering add curry leaves, saute for few seconds then turn off the heat and porethis seasoning evenly on the fried Bhindi / Okra /Lady finger raita.
Refrigerate the raita. Serve cold with boiled rice, rice biriyanis etc.
Health benefits Bhindi / Okra /Lady finger:
The dietary fibers contained in this vegetable are best for those who are on weight reduction programme. Bhindi / Okra /Lady finger comprises of no calories, therefore is good for weight loss. The high Vitamin content in Bhindi / Okra/ Lady finger helps battle cold and improves the overall functioning of the immune system. The Vitamins and numerous minerals like magnesium, manganese, calcium and iron in Bhindi / Okra/ Lady finger fights against hurtful free radicals and enhances the functionality of the immune system.
Health benefits Curd:
Being rich in calcium, curd is good for the health of bones as well as the teeth. For those who have difficulty in the digestion of lactose in milk, yogurt is an important source of calcium. Curd contains an enzyme which breaks down lactose to aid proper digestion.
Curd / Yogurt is rich in vitamin D which helps our body to absorb and use calcium.
Curd / Yogurt helps you feel fuller and is thus, a very good snack for those trying to lose weight.
Eating curd / yogurt on a regular basis can help absorb the nutrients in other foods as well.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.