Hi Friends! In South India curd rice is eaten as a part of meal. It is a great summer food too. Two main ingredients to make are Rice. In telugu it is called daddojanam and thayir sadam in tamil. I am sharing a simple method of making it today. Well cooked rice is mixed with curd and then seasoned to make it tasty and flavorful.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Cuisine: South Indian
- 1cup white rice
- 2 cup thick curd/ yogurt /dahi
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt /or as per taste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- a pinch of asafetida/heeng
- 1 tsp urad/ black gram dal husked
- 1 red chili
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
Wash rice well and soak in 2 cups of water for 20 minutes.
In a pressure cooker take the soaked rice along with the water soaked in, add salt .Close the lid and place the cooker on high flame. The moment full pressure is formed, switch off the stove. Let the pressure cooker come to the room temperature , open the lid take out the rice mash lightly with a ladle.
Add milk and bring the mix to a boil, reduce the heat to low flame. Cook the mixture for ten minutes . Cool the cooked rice.
whisked the curd / yogurt/ dahi add to the mashed cooled rice. Mix it well
In a pan, take oil add hing hen slightly pink in colour add mustard seeds, when mustard begins to splutter, add urad dal and fry until light golden, add chili and curry leaves. Switch off the stove.
Pour the seasoning on the curd rice, mix well. Curd rice is ready to be served with lime or mango pickle and papadams.
How good is curd rice for your health?
Improved Digestion: The nutrients present in curd rice are easily get absorbed by the digestive system. This is due to the curd will help in absorbing nutrients from rice that you have eaten.
No more heart diseases: It minimizes the risk ofand helps reduce by preventing the thickening of carotid arteries.
Great meal for those who are lactose intolerant: Some people, who cannot consume milk because they are, can safely consume curd based cuisines. It converts the lactose present in milk to lactic acid, making it easier to digest. Also, you do not lose out on the nutritional boost that milk provides.
Improved Immunity: When you have curd rice, you are actually increasing your Immunity . It has many good bacteria which are able to fight against the micro-organisms in our body.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.