Palak / Spinach Raita
Hi friends! Here is a simple,delicious and very healthy recipe of an Indian side dish of yogurt containing steamed Spinach leaves and spices.
- 2 cups Spinach / Palak, finely chopped and pureed
- 3 cups Curd / Yogurt /Dahi
- 2 Green chillies
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated finely
- 1/2 tsp cumin / Jeera roasted and powdered
- 2/3 level tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black salt
Put the chopped Spinach / Palak in a pressure cooker, add 1/4 cup of water, close the lid and put on a high flame. The moment pressure is formed switch off the heat. Let the cooker cool to room temperature.
Take spinach from the cooker put in the blender, add two green chilies, one tea spoon grated fresh ginger, puree the mixture to a fine paste ,keep it aside.
Take Curd /yogurt / Dahi in a bowl and whisk it well to a smooth texture.
Add salt,black salt, cumin, to the whisked curd and mix well. Keep it aside.
Take the pureed spinach add it to the spiced and whisked curd. Mix well, refrigerate. Serve cold with all Indian breads, boiled rice or rice biryani etc.
Health benefits of Spinach / Palak:
Spinach is an excellent food loaded with tons of nutrients and a low calorie package. Greens like spinach are important for skin and hair, bone health, and provide protein, iron, vitamins and minerals.
As per studies the possible health benefits of consuming spinach include improving blood glucose control in diabetics, lowering the risk of cancer, lowering blood pressure, improving bone health, lowering the risk of developing asthma and more.
Curd Health benefits:
Being rich in calcium, curd is good for the health of bones as well as the teeth. For those who have difficulty in the digestion of lactose in milk, yogurt is an important source of calcium. Curd contains an enzyme which breaks down lactose to aid proper digestion.
Curd / Yogurt is rich in vitamin D which helps our body to absorb and use calcium.
Curd / Yogurt helps you feel fuller and is thus, a very good snack for those trying to lose weight.
Eating curd / yogurt on a regular basis can help absorb the nutrients in other foods as well.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.