Appam Dahi Vadas
Hi friends!Here is a simple,delicious and very healthy recipe of an Indian side dish of yogurt containing steamed lentil balls and spices.
All varieties of dals/ lentils can be added to make Appam vadas nutritious.
Serves : 6- 8
- 1/2 cup Black gram dal (husked)
- 1/2 cup Moong dal (husked)
- 1/4 cup Rice flour or raw rice 2 table spoons soaked
- 1/4 level tsp Asafetida powder
- 2-3 Green chilies
- 8 to 10 Curry leaves, finely choped
- 1tsp Ginger, finely grated
- 1 tsp level salt / or Salt as per taste
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- Olive oil for lining the appam skillet before Cooking
For the Dahi / curd / Yogurt
- 4 cups chilled Dahi / curd / Yogurt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Black salt
- 1 level tsp salt or / salt as per taste
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, roasted and powdered
- 2 tbsp coriander/ cilantro/ dhaniya leaves, finely chopped
Wash the two dals /lentils,raw rice (if rice powder is being used then no soaking of raw rice required) very well and soak in water together for overnight.
Grind soaked dals / lentils and rice, fenugreek seeds and finely chopped curry leaves, green chilies in a grinder, adding water slowly (so a minimum quantity is used), to a thick consistency batter. Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl, add salt mix well. Keep it for fermenting for 2-3 hours.
Take a table spoon of oil in a pan , heat the oil add asafetida wait for a few seconds for it to turn pink, switch of the stove. Add this tempering to the batter. Mix rice flour (if no previously soaked raw rice added), salt, and baking soda in the dal batter, and mix well. Keep it aside for few minutes.
Place an appam skillet applying or spraying oil to all the molds of the skillet. When heated, fill in all the moulds of the skillet one by one and cover the skillet with a lid.
After few minutes check if appams are cooked by inserting in a knife in the appams, if it comes out clean, appams are ready on one side. Flip each appam to cook on the reverse side, spraying or adding a drop of oil to each mould.
When cooked both sides to a light golden colour, remove from the skillet and soak in hot water.
Let the appams stand in hot water till water cools. Squeeze out water from appams and arrange in a serving dish.
Whisk yogurt add salt, black salt, roasted cumin powder, black pepper and red chili powder and mix it well. Pour the yogurt mix over the ready appams in the serving dish.
Garnished with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve cold.
Health benefits of Lentils/ Dals:
Lentils / dals are higher in fiber content, extremely rich in soluble fiber, which helps the digestive system.
Lentils prove to be significant for a healthy heart as they prevent heart coronary problems. It also helps in eliminating and reducing blood cholesterol levels. Besides fiber which contributes to the health of the cardiovascular system, lentils contain folic acid and magnesium, significant for reducing the level of homocysteine, a compound known to be dangerous for the heart and artery walls. Also, lentils promote better blood flow and passage of oxygen and nutrients to the organs.
The soluble fiber in lentils has the property of trapping carbohydrates. It slows down the digestion and absorption process, hence preventing major changes in blood sugar level throughout the day. This helps diabetic patients.
Lentils are rich in flavones, a class of antioxidants with antioxidant properties.
Lentils increase energy levels by replenishing iron reserves in the body.
Health benefits Curd:
Being rich in calcium, curd is good for the health of bones as well as the teeth. For those who have difficulty in the digestion of lactose in milk, yogurt is an important source of calcium. Curd contains an enzyme which breaks down lactose to aid proper digestion.
Curd / Yogurt is rich in vitamin D which helps our body to absorb and use calcium.
Curd / Yogurt helps you feel fuller and is thus, a very good snack for those trying to lose weight.
Eating curd / yogurt on a regular basis can help absorb the nutrients in other foods as well.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.