Hi friends! Here is another very simple, easy to make and delicious recipe for you all.Tori Delicious this dish/ sabzi (Ridge gourd) is loved by some and not appreciated by many . Its natural flavor and taste is not enjoyed by many, but turai /Tori has a basic quality, it absorbs all other flavors wonderfully and makes the dish amazingly delicious. Tori Delicious is a very simple dish delicately spiced and blended with moong dal, is not too spicy.
Turai / tori/ (Zucchini) is a nutritious, low in calories and a versatile vegetable. It can be prepared using a variety of cooking techniques.
Main Name: Zucchini
Biological Name: Cucurbita pepo
Hindi Name: Tori, Turai
Names in other Indian languages: Peerkan kai (Tamil), Oru pachakkari (Malayalam), Beera Kaaya (Telugu), Turiya, Ghisoda (Gujarati), Jhinge, Jhinga (Bengali), Dodke, Shira?e (Marathi), Janhhi (Oriya), Turai (Urdu), Tori (Punjabi)
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes (slow fire cooking)
Cuisine : Indian, North Indian
Course: Main, Vegetables
- 250 gms Tori/Turai/ Smooth or Sponge Gourd
- 1/2 cup Moong daal / Yellow green gram lentil husked
- 1 medium size tomatoes ,chopped and pureed
- 1 medium size Onions ,finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger /adrak, finely grated
- 12 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup curd / yogurt / Dahi
- 2/3 level tsp Salt/ or salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 level tsp chili powder or adjust to taste
- 1 tsp Coriander / dhania powder
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin /geera
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2-3 tbsp Olive oil / or Pure ghee
Wash and peel the Tori/Turai/ Smooth or Sponge Gourd and cut it in small cubes. Keep aside.
Finely chop onions and puree tomatoes and keep aside. Wash Moong daal / Yellow green gram lentil husked nicely and keep aside.
In a heavy bottom pan heat the oil, add cumin seeds, when cumin starts crackling, add finely chopped onions in it.
Fry the onions till light golden, add minced garlic and grated ginger, sauté for few seconds. Add chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder in it. Fry these spices for a few seconds.
Now add finely cubed Tori/Turai/ Smooth or Sponge Gourd in it, mix well. Cover and cook on low flame till Tori/Turai/ Smooth or Sponge Gourd is soft, add washed Moong daal, tomato puree and further cook covered on low flame till daal is soft/ cooked well .
When Tori/Turai/ Smooth or Sponge Gourd, tomatoes , daal is cooked and well blended (and 75% of water is evaporated) add curd / yogurt / dahi mix well, cook for couple of minutes more, add fresh lime juice.
Switch off the heat. Garnish it with finely chopped Cilantro / Coriander before serving. Serve hot with Indian bread of choice!
Smooth or Sponge gourd:
Health Benefits of Zucchini/Smooth or Sponge gourd:
- Incredibly low in calories, zucchini makes a great way of filling your stomach without worrying about the calories being carried along with it. With just a couple of calories, you can include zucchini in your diet plan.
- Regular consumption of cheesy, doughy foods with high sodium levels or other processed foods can leave your body yearning for water. With a high water concentration, vegetables like zucchini contribute to hydration, thereby fulfilling the body’s water requirement.
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which is required by the body to prevent health conditions, like scurvy and other illnesses, including heart conditions and certain types of cancers. Zucchini is a great source of vitamin C that helps in overcoming the deficiency of this vitamin.
- Zucchini contains dietary fiber which lowers cholesterol by attaching itself to bile acids which are produced by the liver from the cholesterol. Since the fiber binds so well to the bile acid to instantly digest fat, the liver is induced to generate more bile acid.
- The high levels of vitamins A and C present in zucchini keep the cholesterol from oxidizing in the body’s blood vessels, thereby delaying the onset of atherosclerosis.
- Dietary fiber is known for promoting healthy and regular bowel movements, which help in preventing carcinogen toxins from settling in the colon. Zucchini has dietary fiber present in high amounts which avoids the risk of different kinds of cancers.
- Studies indicate that zucchini contains phytonutrients which assist in reducing the symptoms of benign prostatic hypertrophy (BOH), a condition where the prostate gland enlarges, resulting in complications with urination and sexual functions in men.
- With the presence of magnesium in considerate amounts, zucchini helps in lowering the risk of heart attack and strokes to a great extent. Besides, it also contains folate which is necessary for breaking down the amino acid homocysteine, which when increased, can lead to heart attack and stroke.
- Zucchini is ideal for people suffering from asthma and other respiratory allergies as it increases one’s immunity due to the high vitamin C content. Furthermore, it also helps in controlling the symptoms of any autoimmune disorders which can lead to internal inflammation of organs.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.