Hi friends! Here is a simple,delicious and very healthy recipe of an Indian side dish of yogurt/curd/Dahi containing fried lentil balls and spices.
Dal soaking time: 3-4 hours
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup soaked overnight ( or for at least 3-4 hours) dhuli moong daal (husked green gram)
- 1 tsp red chili powder / or add more to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds/ geera
- 1 level tsp salt or/ salt to taste
- 1 tsp adrak (ginger) finely grated
- Oil for deep-frying
- 1 liter Curd/ yogurt
- 1 tsp roasted and powdered cumin seeds/ geera
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp salt / or salt to taste
wash and soak moong dal for 3-4 hours. Grind the daal to a smooth consistency with using very little water or no water.
Heat the oil and drop teaspoonfuls into the hot oil and fry the pakoris, fry to a golden color, strain and keep aside on a paper kitchen towel till all the pakoris are fried.
Soak the pakoris in water for ten minutes. Then take out the pakoris from water and gently squeeze out the water and keep aside.
Whisk the curd/ yogurt in a bowl very nicely. Mix salt, roasted geera powder, pepper, add the ready pakoris to the curd. Mix well, refrigerate till served.
Note: Imali /tamrind, khatti meethi chutney, goes very well with this Raita.
Curd Cooking tips:
A bowl of fresh curd and dal pakori (Raitas)is a great accompaniment to lunches and dinners. Add sour curd to salads which make it taste better.
Sour curd is added to vegetable curries instead of tomatoes to make it rich and delicious.
Health benefits of curd:
Being rich in calcium, curd is good for the health of bones as well as the teeth. For those who have difficulty in the digestion of lactose in milk, yogurt is an important source of calcium. Curd contains an enzyme which breaks down lactose to aid proper digestion.
Curd / Yogurt is rich in vitamin D which helps our body to absorb and use calcium.
Curd / Yogurt helps you feel fuller and is thus, a very good snack for those trying to lose weight.
Eating curd / yogurt on a regular basis can help absorb the nutrients in other foods as well.
Health benefits of moong dal:
Among other moong dal nutrition benefits, this dal is a good source for a variety of vitamins and minerals. Provides folate (vitamin B9). Moong dal also provides significant amounts of thiamine (vitamin B1), as well as vitamin B5 and vitamin B6. In addition to this, it contains high levels of the minerals iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, and zin.
A great moong dal nutrition benefit is the amount of fiber it has.
Moong beans are packed with protein.
Moong dal can be a great, nutritious addition to a balanced diet. It is a healthy meal that provides high levels of protein and fiber while containing relatively few calories and little fat.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.