yogurt rice is a dish of India. The word “curd” in India usually refers to unsweetened yogurt. It is very popular in the Indian states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala. In
Curd rice ( Tamil: தயிர் சோறு, Kannada: ಮೊಸರು-ಅನ್ನ (mosaru-anna), Telugu: పెరుగు అన్నం, Malayalam : Thayiru) also called the state of Tamil Nadu it is called “Thayir Sadam”. “Thayir”=Curd, “Sadam”=rice.
hi friends, here is a simple recipe of curd rice/ yogurt rice.While it is most easily prepared by simply mixing boiled rice and yogurt, different methods can be used . One of these recipes is given here: Rice is boiled so that it breaks down, becoming almost like a paste. Bring it to room temperature. It is then seasoned with fried red chilies, and curry leaves, and along with the urad dal , mustard seeds, and asafetida. Alternatively, it can be prepared by mashing cooked plain rice (can also use leftover boiled rice), and then mixing it with some salt, yogurt and (a bit of milk to lessen the sour flavor of yogurt or to stop it from souring too much) garnishing it with fried urad dal, mustard seeds, green chilli .
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Cuisine: South Indian
- 1cup white rice
- 2 cup thick curd/ yogurt /dahi
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt /or as per taste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- a pinch of asafetida/heeng
- 1 tsp urad/ black gram dal husked
- 1 red chili
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
Wash rice well and soak in 2 cups of water for 20 minutes.
In a pressure cooker take the soaked rice along with the water soaked in, add salt .Close the lid and place the cooker on high flame. The moment full pressure is formed, switch off the stove. Let the pressure cooker come to the room temperature , open the lid take out the rice mash lightly with a ladle.
Add milk and bring the mix to a boil, reduce the heat to low flame. Cook the mixture for ten minutes . Cool the cooked rice.
whisked the curd / yogurt/ dahi add to the mashed cooled rice. Mix it well
In a pan, take oil add hing hen slightly pink in colour add mustard seeds, when mustard begins to splutter, add urad dal and fry until light golden, add chili and curry leaves. Switch off the stove.
Pour the seasoning on the curd rice, mix well. Curd rice is ready to be served with lime or mango pickle and papadams.
Health benefits of having curd rice:
1. It boosts digestion and works best for stomach upsets, indigestion and bloating.
2. It’s a good natural substitute for pro-biotic and antibiotics for very young children during early stages of fever.
3. Has the mercury risen too high for your comfort? Just add some curd to your diet and you will feel better.
4. Curd is also a natural fire extinguisher after a very spicy meal. A small cup of curd will keep those spice tears away.
5. It’s high in calcium and good fats and a must have in high protein diets.
6. You apply it on your skin or on your hair for a soft, healthy glow
It increases immunity and the defense mechanism of the body.
8. It improves the absorption of vitamins and minerals from other foods in your body.
9. It’s extremely versatile in flavor and makes for a healthier substitute for milk and cream in your desserts and savory dishes.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.