Prep time: 10 minutes
Recipe type: Chutney
Cuisine: south Indian
- 1 cups fresh Curry leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted chana dal / bengal gram dal
- 1 medium size Onion, finely chopped
- 3 green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt / or as required
- 1/4 cup water
Put finely chopped onions, roasted chana dal , Curry leaves , green chillies, salt, in a grinder and blend the ingredients to a smooth chutney. Remove the chutney into a bowl from the grinder jar.
Serve the curry eaves chutney with idlies, dosas,Chana dal vada or uttapams etc.
Note: Refrigerate for one or two days and use as required
Health benefits of curry leaves:
Kadi patta or curry leaves is a staple in Indian dishes.
Commonly used as seasoning, this leaf adds a special flavour to every dish. But there is more to the humble curry leaf than simply flavour. Packed with carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, phosphorous, irons and vitamins like vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin E, curry leaves help your heart function better, fights infections and can enliven your hair and skin with vitality. Here are few healthbenefits of kadi patta.
Helps keep anaemia at bay
Curry leaves are a rich source of iron and folic acid. Folic acid is mainly responsible for carrying and helping the body absorb iron, and since kadi patta is a rich source of both the compounds it is your one-stop natural remedy to beat anaemia.
Not only does kadi patta help lower the blood sugar levels, but also keeps in check for a few days after the administration of curry leaves. Curry leaves help your blood sugar levels by affecting the insulin activity of the body and reduces ones blood sugar levels. Also the type and amount of fiber contained within the leaves play a significant role in lowering blood sugar levels. So, if you suffer from diabetes, kadi patta is the best natural method to keeping your blood sugar levels in check.
Curry leaves is known to help improve digestion and alter the way your body absorbs fat, thereby helping you lose weight. Since weight gain is one of the leading causes of diabetes, kadi patta treats the problem right at the root.
Many research shows that curry leaves have properties that can help in lowering one’s blood cholesterol levels. Packed with antioxidants, curry leaves prevent the oxidation of cholesterol that forms LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol). This in turn helps in increasing the amount of good cholesterol (HDL) and protects your body from conditions like heart disease and atherosclerosis.
Prevents greying of hair
Kadi patta has always been known to help in preventing greying of the hair. It is also very effective in treating damaged hair, adding bounce to limp hair, strengthening the shaft of thin hair, hair fall and treats dandruff. The best part about this benefit is that you can either choose to eat the curry leaves to help with your hair woes or apply it to your scalp as a remedy.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.