This delightful food group is a must try, as beans are tasty and nutritious.
Bean Main Dishes: beans are in stews and casseroles; they’re baked with meat; in some cultures, like that of Mexico, they’re unique dishes that are served constantly [think tacos, enchiladas, chalupas]; cattle drives moved across American eating huge pots of beans at every meal; Indian tribes ate beans for thousands of years.Vegetarian Bean Main Dishes: vegetarians like me frequently fix main dishes without meat, using beans as the filling ingredient, rather than animal products. With a salad and crusty bread, they’re yummy!Baked Beans: are the most famous bean dish and they’re baked with all kinds of different ingredients: onions, garlic, barbecue sauce, cranberries, mushroom, pineapple – even Dr. Pepper and beer.Bean Salads: everyone has eaten cold beans in salads. Bean Soups: there are bean soups in cultures all over the planet from Cuban black bean soup to Mexican spicy soups to French Canadian pea soup and my favorite, our American Senate Bean Soup.Bean Dips: are a favorite of most people and are quite popular at all kinds of social gatherings and surely go well at a Super Bowl party with a huge bowl of chips.
- 1/2 cup red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup black eyed beans / lobiya
- 6 cups water
- 3 medium size onions, finely chopped
- 2 tabs ginger, finely grated
- 2 tabs garlic, minced
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1tsp cumin
- 3 cloves , powdered
- 1 bay leaf / Tej patta
- 2 tabs coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, roasted and powdered
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp dry mango powder /amchoor
- 4 medium size tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1 tsp Gram masala, optional
- 2 tbsp cilantro/ coriander / dhaniya leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt /or salt to taste
- 3 tabs olive oil / any cooking oil
Rinse the soaked kidney beans and Black eyed beans overnight.
Now on a high flame in a pressure cooker take the soaked lobia / Black eyed beans/ kidney beans, five cups of water, salt close the lid . After the pressure is formed, reduce the heat to low flame for twenty minutes switch off the stove. Let the cooker cool open the lid and check, beans will be soft. Set aside with the cooking liquid.
Heat the ghee in a deep and heavy bottom pan, when its hot add the cumin. Wait for it to crackle. Add in the bay leaf, clove, cinnamon and sauté for few seconds then add in the onions and cook until the onions are golden brown.
Add in the ginger, garlic and sauté for a minute or so. Now, Add in the red chili , cumin, coriander powder, stir to mix and add in the tomatoes.
Reduce heat and cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring every now and then. When the oil starts separating in the fried masala, add in the salt and cooked beans in along with the broth.
Stir to mix, bring to a boil, cover and cook for 15 minutes on medium low heat, till well blended and consistency thickens slightly. Switch off the stove.
Serve this delicious curry hot, garnish with cilantro / coriander/ dhaniya leaves with choice of Indian bread.
Health benefits of Beans:
Nutrients & Beans
Beans are loaded with nutrients that our bodies crave:
B Vitamins: are necessary for healthy brain and nerve cells, for normal functioning of the skin, nerves and digestive system.
Calcium: for strong bones and teeth and to help keep the body more alkaline, rather than acidic.
Potassium: helps reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
Folate: a B vitamin that our bodies don’t produce yet dry beans are our single best source of this important vitamin which helps protect against heart disease and cancer.
Anything that I like to eat that makes me healthier definitely gets an A+
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.