Dal and Baati
Hi friends! Rajasthan, is not only famous for its rich culture but what makes the state popular, is its cuisine.Dal fry served with battis is one of the most famous dishes from the state. All foodies must have tasted them at least once.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Servings : 4
Cuisine: Indian , Rajasthan
Level Of Cooking: Easy
- 1/4 cup husked Split green gram/ husked moong dal /dhuli moong dal
- 1/4 cup husked Split black gram /dhuli urad dal
- 1/4 cup Split Bengal gram/chana dal
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 2 ” Ginger piece, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafetida
- 2 Whole dry red chilies, broken stemmed
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Green cardamoms
- 1 ” Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 Green chilies, chopped(optional)
- 11/2 tsp Salt or / salt to taste
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 medium Lemon/ 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp ajwain / Carom seeds
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup Pure ghee
- 1 level tsp salt / or salt to taste
Wash and soak moong dal, urad dal and chana dal in about four cups of water for an hour.
Take the soaked dals along with the water in a pressure cooker, add salt, turmeric powder, chili powder and grated ginger to it. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and place it on high flame till full pressure is formed . As soon as full pressure is formed switch off the stove.
Let the pressure cooker cool to room temperature. Open the lid and take out the dal in a bowl.
Heat oil in a sauce pan, add cumin seeds, asafetida, dry red chilies, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, and cardamoms .Add finely chopped tomatoes. Sauté for few seconds.
Add the cooked dals to this seasoning and mix well. Add juice of lemon and cook for few minutes till dal is well blended. Switch off the stove.
Take out the seasoned dal in a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with the battis.
Take wheat flour in a mixing bowl. Add salt, baking powder and half a cup of pure ghee. Mix well, rub with your fingers very nicely till mix resembles bread crumbs. Add sufficient water and knead into easily pliable yet a little stiff dough.
Take small lemon sized portions of the dough, press firmly in to making round /circular/ balls ( just like while making chapatti ). we can make twelve battis with the dough. Keep aside.
Take a pressure cooker, grease the cooker with one tablespoon of ghee. Place the pressure cooker on medium high flame . (and remove the whistle from the lid and keep it aside)
When the cooker becomes hot, put the baatis or round balls of dough one by one in the cooker. Making sure to keep only that many baatis as are in one line or in one layer only and are not on top of each other.
Place the lid on the cooker and close it. Let battis cook on medium flame for 15 -20 minutes. Make sure that you shake the cooker well gently with hands without removing the lid every two -three minutes. The cooker can be rotated sideways and turned upside down gently ( see that cooker lid is tightly closed). This process will help in cooking the baatis from all the sides properly.
Serve the baatis hot with dal fry. There is no need to dip the baatis in ghee before serving.
- In this recipe baati is cooked with less ghee.
- Battis can be cooked faster.
- No oven required.
Health benefits of mixed lentils / dals:
Moong Dal Moong dal is a dieter friendly dal. This type of dal has minimal calorie and is a rich source of iron and potassium.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.
One thought on “Dal Fry and Batti”
Love it,the simple way you have made possible cooking of such delicious Batties at home!