Fried Baby Potatoes
Baby potatoes are the potatoes which are removed from the soil before they are fully grown. Because of this , baby potatoes have a sweeter flavor. Baby potatoes usually have a pale brown thin outer skin. They are used all over the world in a variety of dishes like salads, vegetable accompaniments to even main courses. Baby potatoes can be cooked using various recipes, can be baked, grilled, steamed, broiled, roasted, stir fried, etc.
Hi friends !If you are looking for a simple and spicy dish to go well with rice pilaf, this is a very easy recipe with baby potatoes.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total Cook time: 20 minutes
Category: Side dish
- 1/2 Kg small /baby Potatoes
- 1 tsp Red chilie powder
- 12 Sambar Onions (shallots)
- 12 Garlic pods
- 2 tbsp White vinegar
- 1/2 level tsp Salt /to taste
- 1/2 cup Oil
In a pressure cooker wash and put baby potatoes add three cups of water and close the lid. Place the cooker on high flame, the moment full pressure is formed, reduce the heat to low flame. After five minutes switch off the stove. When pressure cooker cools down to room temperature open the lid and take out the potatoes, peel the skin and keep aside.
Grind together without water, sambar onions /shallots / pearl onions, garlic pods, and white vinegar to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Add and sauté the peeled baby potatoes over low flame for a few minutes. Keep on tossing well, so that the potatoes become golden brown and crisp all around. Remove the fried potatoes in a bowl and keep aside.
In the same pan add left over oil and heat , add the onion, garlic, vinegar ground paste and sauté for a minute ill garlic ginger paste slightly changes colour. Add fried potatoes to the fried paste and gently mix. Cover and cook over low flame, stirring and mixing the potatoes frequently.
After 5– 8 minutes of cooking on low flame, when the paste is well coated and blended with the potatoes ,( it would have coated the potatoes well). Switch off the stove.
Serve hot Garnishing it with finely chopped cilantro /Coriander leaves. It goes very well with rice pilaf.
If baby potatoes are not available big potatoes can be cut in big cubes.
Frying the potatoes in the beginning, before adding the onion paste will ensure a lovely golden colour and enhanced taste.
- Baby Potatoes GOOD POINTS:
- No saturated fat
- No cholesterol
- Low in sodium
- High in dietary fiber
- Very high in potassium
- Very high in vitamin C
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.