Chickpea Pilaf / Chole biryani
Hi friends !Here is a yummy combination of rice, chickpeas / Kabuli chanas /Gabanzo beans, with spices. It is a complete, nutritious and healthy meal.
Cooking time: 20 minutes approx.
Cuisine: Indian , North Indian
Course : main
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas/chole/garbanzo/kabuli chanas, canned or cooked
- 3cups sliced onions
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 2 bay leafs/tejpatta
- 11/2 tsp salt / or to taste
- 3 cloves, powdered
- 1 black cardamom, powdered
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 6 black pepper corns, powdered
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 tsp gram masala/ mixed spices powder
- 2 cups water
Wash the rice well and soak it for 15 minutes.
Soak the dry chickpeas/chole/garbanzo/kabuli chanas overnight.In a pressure cooker take the soaked dried chickpeas/chole/garbanzo/kabuli chanas along with the water soaked in. Add salt to it and place the cooker on high flame. The moment full pressure is formed, reduce to low flame for twenty minutes. Switch off the stove.
( If using canned chickpeas/chole/garbanzo/kabuli chanas, drain the liquid out of the can of chickpeas and wash the chickpeas well. Keep aside.
Heat the oil in a deep heavy bottom pan, add cumin seed. When cumin starts crackling add the bay leaves, powdered cloves, pepper powder, cinnamon, cardamom powder sauté for few seconds. Add the sliced onions. Fry the onions till golden brown.
Add chickpeas/chole/garbanzo/kabuli chanas and rice, salt and water. After it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low flame and cover the pan and let it cook till rice is well cooked (approximately 10-12 minutes). Sprinkle lemon juice and gram masala, switch off the stove.
Serve hot with Potato Raita/ Coconut Raita or any other Raita of your choice !
Cover and cook the rice on low flame after water starts boiling. Don’t stir the rice while they are cooking.check the rice in about 110-15 minutes. Check when the the water has evaporated and rice is tender and well cooked, switch off the stove.
- White Chickpeas is a versatile source of protein in the human body.
- It helps in boosting the protein power and energy, which is a basic requirement for the healthy body.
- Chickpeas consist natural protein and vitamins which helps in muscle and body building.
- They are low in fat and cholesterol.
- Boiled chickpeas are highly beneficial to provide protein, foliate and zinc in the body.
- Chickpeas are high dietary fibre, which is an ultimate source of carbohydrates, hence strongly recommended to the diabetics
Basmati is a healthy ‘supergrain’
Basmati is gluten-free and low in fat. It contains all eight essential amino acids, folic acid, and is very low in sodium and has no cholesterol.
Basmati has a low to medium glycaemic index, meaning that energy is released at a slower, steadier rate leading to a more balanced level of energy.
Difference between basmati rice and regular rice (both the brown and white versions)?
Basmati rice is a unique species of rice originating from India. Just like all species of rice, basmati is available in white or brown versions, depending on the extent of the milling process. Like jasmine rice, it has its own unique smell. In the case of basmati, this smell is due to the presence of a chemical called 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline, which is found in basmati rice at about 90 parts per billion. That’s about 12 times more than in other types of rice, giving basmati its special aroma. Brown basmati rice is comparable to other types of brown rice in nutrient content (although it does contain about 20% more fiber compared to most other types of brown rice), and white basmati rice is comparable to other types of white rice.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.