Hi friends ! Bonda is a typical South Indian snack that has various sweet and spicy versions of it in different regions. Here is a simple, easy to make Aloo bonda recipe, deep fried savory appetizer made with spicy potato mix. When they are serve hot they are crispy outside and soft inside.
- 4 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1 medium size onions, Finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafetida /hing
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 2/3 tsp salt or / salt to taste
- 1/2 cup of water Approx.
- Oil for deep frying
In a mixing bowl take gram flour /besan, salt ,rice flour, red chili powder and baking powder. Add water carefully to make a thick and smooth batter. Keep aside.
Heat a table spoon oil in a frying pan on medium heat, add mustard seeds as the seeds crack add curry leaves, turmeric and onions. Fry till onions become translucent or very slightly change colour .
Add potatoes, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well and stir fry for about 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Add cilantro mix it well. Turn of the heat.
Cool the cooked spiced potato, onion mix. Divide the mix into about 15 equal portions and make each portion into a smooth round ball shape with your palms. Keep ready all the bondas in a tray, for frying.
Heat oil in a frying pan for deep frying on medium high heat. To check if the oil is ready, put one drop of batter in oil. The batter comes up right away.
Dip the potato balls into the batter one at a time, making sure the potato balls are fully coated with the batter. Then, gently slid each batter coated potato ball in the frying pan.
Turn them gently until fried on all sides. Fry till the bondas are golden-brown from all sides.Serve bondas hot with Coconut chutney.
Low in cholesterol
High in selenium
High in thiamin
High in vitamin A
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.