Red Bean /Kidney bean /Rajma Kebabs
The kidney bean is a variety of the common bean Phaseous vulgaris. It is named for its visual resemblance in shape and color to a kidney. Red kidney beans can be confused with other beans that are red, such as adzuki beans.There are different groups of kidney beans, such as:
- Red kidney bean (also known as: common kidney bean, Rajma in India, Surkh(Red) Lobia in Pakistan).
- Light speckled kidney bean (and long shape light speckled kidney bean).
- Red speckled kidney bean (and long shape light speckled kidney bean).
What are kebabs ?
Kebab (also kebap, kabob, kebob, or kabab) is a Middle Eastern, Eastern Mediterranean, and South Asian dish of pieces of meat, fish, or vegetables roasted or grilled on a skewer or spit[.
Hi friends !The Galouti kebabs were made famous by “Lucknow”, India ‘s royal chefs. ‘Galouti’ or ‘Galawati’ means melt in the mouth. A mix of kidney beans and Indian spices, with corn flour, all purpose flour are shallow fried to gorgeous brown.These are definitely delicious, easy to make vegetarian kebabs, will melt in your mouth once you have tasted them.
Prep time : Overnight soaking
Cook time : 25 + 20 minutes
Cuisine : Indian, Utter Pradesh
Serves : 4
- 1 cup kidney beans/ Red Bean / Rajma
- 1 small sized onion, chopped fine /1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1small sized tomato, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, finely grated
- 1 tbsp garlic , crushed
- 2 tbsp Cilantro /coriander leaves/ finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 2 tbsp Corn flour
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour / maida
- 1 tsp Salt / or salt to taste
- Oil for fryingDry Roast:
- 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds / khus khus
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 tsp cumin seed /jeera
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1tsp chironji /Charoli
- 9 cashew nuts
Wash and soak Red beans / Rajma /kidney beans overnight in 500 ml water.
In a pressure take the soaked Red beans / Rajma /kidney beans along with the water soaked in. Close the lid and place the cooker on high flame. The moment full pressure is formed, reduce the heat to low lame. Let it cook for 25 minutes, switch off the stove.
When the cooker cools down to room temperature, open the lid and drain and transfer the boiled Red beans / Rajma /kidney beans to a mixing bowl. Keep aside.
Dry roast cumin/ jeera, cinnamon, green and black cardamoms, cloves and cashew nuts, chironji and poppy seeds / khus khus. Cool to room temperature and grind to a fine powder.
Add red chili powder, salt, and dry roasted ground masala, to the / Rajma /kidney beans in the mixer jar. Grind Red beans / Rajma /kidney beans into a coarse paste. Remove it in a mixing bowl.
Add chopped onion, tomatoes ,green chilies , chili powder, grated ginger, garlic paste, lemon juice, corn flour , all purpose flour / maida and mix well. Make elongated kebabs from the mixture.
Heat oil in a non- stick wok / pan fry and shallow fry the kebabs till equally done on all sides. Serve the delicious kebabs hot with green garlic chutney / coriander chutney.
The health benefits of red kidney beans:
Red kidney beans fall in the category of low glycemic index foods and they do not spike the blood glucose levels post meal in diabetics. In other words, they raise the blood glucose levels very slowly. Also, they contain good quality carbohydrates and lean protein which makes them a healthy option. And the cherry on the cake is that they are low in fat too. Also, the two amino acids which regulate insulin levels — arginine and leucine are present abundantly in red kidney beans.
Lowers cholesterol levels
Rajma is a tremendous source of soluble fibre which helps lower cholesterol levels. Soluble fibre forms a gel when it comes in contact with the stomach contents and this binds the cholesterol and prevents its re-absorption back into the system, thus lowering blood cholesterol levels.
Nutritious red kidney beans are also a very good source of potassium and magnesium along with soluble fibre and protein which helps maintain blood pressure within normal range and protects the over-all heart health. Potassium and magnesium dilate the blood vessels and arteries thus assuring smooth blood flow.
Helps lose weight
These fibre-rich beans when consumed, occupy a lot of space in the stomach thus providing a feeling of fullness for a longer period of time and they are low in fat too. This makes it an appropriate pre-workout option as it will provide sustained energy throughout.
Strengthens the immune system
The health benefits of rajma are not just limited to its fibre and protein content as it is full of antioxidants too. These antioxidants boost our immune system and protect it from the harmful effects of free radicals by scavenging them and limiting the damage. Antioxidants are also believed to have anti-ageing properties.
Combine rajma with vegetables in the form of salads or soups to make it more nutritious. Eating red kidney beans every day can become boring or monotonous, here is another interesting way to incorporate it in your daily diet: Red kidney bean flour/powered beans can be added to wheat flour to make more nutritious chapattis or Indian flat bread, khakra, wraps, chilas, dosas, pancakes, etc.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.