Bathua Paratha /Chenopodium flat bread
Bathua /Chenopodium album has an earthy, mineral-rich, astringent salty taste comparable to spinach. Bathua / Chenopodium album is readily available during India’s winter months at elevations up to 4,700 meters. Some sources, such as the “Handbook on Herbs Cultivation and Processing,” also list the plant as a summer crop in irrigated areas.
Hi friends ! Many simple but delicious recipes for Indian flatbreads are there that can be served with Indian curries or main dishes. There are a variety of breads consumed in India like roti, naan, Lachcha paratha and parathas to name a few. I love to prepare all kinds of breads for variation and change in my everyday menu. I hope you will enjoy them all too!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes : 12
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 200 gms Bathua leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger ,finely grated
- 1 tsp Red chili powder or 2 green chilies paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed, roasted and powdered
- 3 tbsp olive oil or / cooking oil of your choice
- 1 cup water
- Clarified butter for frying parathas
Put the cleaned and washed , chopped Bathua/ Chenopodium album in a pressure cooker, add 1/4 cup of water, close the lid and place the cooker on high flame. The moment pressure is formed switch off the stove. Let the cooker cool to room temperature.
Take the cooked Bathua/ Chenopodium album from the cooker put in the blender, one tea spoon grated fresh ginger, green chilies puree the mixture to a fine paste ,keep it aside.
In a mixing bowl, take whole wheat flour, salt, red chili powder( if green chilies are not used), cumin seed powder . Add bathua /Chenopodium album leaf puree. Mix the ingredients well.
Gradually add about 1/4 cup of water or little more, just enough to form a soft dough and knead till smooth. keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
Divide into four portions and shape into balls. Roll out each ball into a thin, six to seven-inch round circle. Brush the entire surface of each circle with melted ghee/ claied butter evenly and dust with flour.
Fold /Pleat the circle to make a number of folds. When entire circle of dough is pleated then roll up into a spiral. Flatten a bit between your palms and set aside for few minutes. Roll out this pleated dough circle lightly into a six-inch parantha / flat bread.
Heat a griddle /tawa , gently place the rolled paratha / flat bread on it. Cook each paratha / flat bread on both sides on medium heat.
Drizzle a little ghee all around the semi cooked paratha / flat bread and shallow-fry the paratha / flat bread till both sides are golden brown.
Serve hot lightly crushing the paratha / flat bread with your hands to separate the layers. It goes very well with Vegetable, potato stews / aloo sabzi etc.
Health benefits of Bathua/ Chenopodium album:
Health Benefits Of Chenopodium Album-Pappukura
- The rich vitamin C content is very useful in treating scurvy.
- Bathua is also used to treat burns, intestinal problems, painful limbs etc.
- Bathua keeps the hair black as it has many vitamins and minerals far in excess of those found in Indian gooseberry or amla which is also used to prevent hair from going grey prematurely.
- Raw bathua leaves when chewed help in ulcers of the mouth, bad breath, pyorrhea, and other dental problems.
- Bathua relieves gas, constipation, improves appetite and digestion, reduces acidity, bloating. Eat bathua for a few weeks everyday for relief.
- For those who suffer from piles eating bathua twice a day, in morning and evening, gives a lot of relief.
- For enlarged spleen, boil bathua and sprinkle some black pepper and rock salt on it and eat.
- It kills intestinal worms in children if they are made to eat bathua regularly for some days.
- To get relief in arthritis, drink 2 tsp of fresh juice of bathua leaves on empty stomach everyday for 2 to 3 months.
- Leaves of the plant can be used in treating insect bites.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.