Gobi/ Cauliflower stuffed paratha
Hi friends! Gobi ka paratha, is an absolute winner of the most popular paratha in North India. Theparathas are stuffed with spicy grated cauliflower.
Preparation Time : 30-35 minutes
Cooking time : 10-15 minutes
Servings : 6
- 1 medium size cauliflower
- 3 cups whole wheat flour/ atta
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2 Green chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 inch piece Ginger (finely grated)
- 1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp roasted and powdered geera seeds / cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds / ajwain
- 1 tsp salt or Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsps pure ghee / olive oil for shallow frying
Take atta / whole wheat flour in a bowl mix water , little at a time. Add enough water to make a firm dough (not too soft not too hard). Keep aside, covered for ten to fifteen minutes.
Wash and finely grate cauliflower in a bowl.
Add finely chop coriander leaves , ginger, green chilies, cumin powder,carom seeds / ajwain and salt in to the grated cauliflower.
Divide the dough in medium-sized balls, roll out each ball into a medium thick chapatti using dry flour for dusting. Place a spoonful of the cauliflower mixture in the center and bring the edges together to seal and form into a round shape once again. Press on your palm.
Sprinkle a little flour on top, and roll the stuffed dough gently, taking care not to break it. Heat a tawa /griddle/ non-stick tawa, place the rolled paratha on the heated tawa.
Shallow fry both sides on medium heat with little pure ghee/olive oil till both sides are evenly cooked and golden. Serve hot with a blob of butter.
Note: A bowl of curd / yogurt and chili pickle/ fresh coriander chutney is a good accompaniment.
Health Benefits of Cauliflower:
Because of its beneficial effects on numerous aspects of health, cauliflower can easily be described as a super food. Ten of its most impressive benefits follow:
1. Fight Cancer
Cauliflower contains sulforaphane, a sulfur compound that has also been shown to kill cancer stem cells, thereby slowing tumor growth. Some researchers believe eliminating cancer stem cells may be key to controlling cancer.
2. Boost Heart Health
Sulforaphane in cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables has been found to significantly improve blood pressure and kidney function.Scientists believe sulforaphane’s benefits are related to improved DNA methylation, which is crucial for normal cellular function and proper gene expression, especially in the easily damaged inner lining of the arteries known as the endothelium.
3. It’s Anti-Inflammatory
You need some level of inflammation in your body to stay healthy. Cauliflower contains a wealth of anti-inflammatory nutrients to help keep inflammation in check, including indole-3-carbinol or I3C, an anti-inflammatory compound that may operate at the genetic level to help prevent the inflammatory responses at its foundational level.
4. It’s Rich in Vitamins and Minerals
Eating cauliflower regularly is a simple way to get these much-needed nutrients into your body. It’s also a good source of vitamin K, protein, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, fiber, vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium, and manganese.
5. Boost Your Brain Health
Cauliflower is a good source of choline, a B vitamin known for its role in brain development.
6. Detoxification Support
Cauliflower helps your body’s ability to detoxify in multiple ways. It contains antioxidants that support Phase 1 detoxification along with sulfur-containing nutrients important for Phase 2 detox activities. The glucosinolates in cauliflower also activate detoxification enzymes.
7. Digestive Benefits
Cauliflower is an important source of dietary fiber for digestive health. But that’s not all. According to the World’s Healthiest Foods
8. Antioxidants and Phytonutrients Galore
Eating cauliflower is like winning the antioxidant and phytonutrient lottery. It’s packed with vitamin C, beta-carotene, kaempferol, quercetin, rutin, cinnamic acid, and much more. Antioxidants are nature’s way of providing your cells with adequate defense against attack by reactive oxygen species (ROS).
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition, Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.