Hi friends ! Whether you refer to a tomato as a fruit or a vegetable, there is no doubt that a tomato is a nutrient-dense, super-food that most people should be eating more of.The tomato has been referred to as a “functional food,” a food that goes beyond providing just basic nutrition, additionally preventing chronic disease and delivering other health benefits, due to beneficial phytochemicals such as lycopene. Here is a simple yet delicious recipe of tomato soup.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- 8 medium size tomatoes- chopped (into four quarters each)
- 1 medium size onion ,finely chopped /or 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, finely chopped / or grated
- 4 cloves of garlic , finely chopped
- 1/2 ” piece ginger ,finely grated
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt or /to taste
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tsp fresh cream for garnishing
In the pressure cooker take halved tomatoes, carrot ,onions, garlic, ginger with 4 cups of water close the lid and place the cooker on high flame.The moment full pressure is formed switch off the stove.
Let the pressure cooker cooled down to room temperature,open the lid and strain the the tomatoes and vegetables with a strainer.Keep the strained soup in a mixing bowl aside.
Remove the tomato skins with a fork from the strained vegetables and blend all the vegetables in a blender.
Put the blended vegetable mix through soup strainer in to the strained soup, mix well.
Bring to a boil again, and then simmer. Add salt, sugar and black pepper. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
Pour the soup in bowls, and garnish with the cream. Serve the croutons on the side.
Health benefits of Tomatoes:
Recent developments on the health benefits of tomatoes from MNT news
A tomato-rich diet may reduce breast cancer risk, study shows.
Risk of breast cancer for postmenopausal women may reduce with a tomato-rich diet, after a study showed the diet increased levels of adiponectin – a fat and blood sugar regulator.
Soy And Tomato Combination May Help Prevent Prostate Cancer.
Men who consume plenty of soy and tomato combinations probably have a much lower risk of developing prostate cancer compared to those who don’t.
Tomato extract ‘improves blood vessel function’ in CVD patients
Results of a study published in the journal PLOS One, revealed that CVD patients who received lycopene supplementation showed improved blood vessel response to acetylcholine, compared with healthy volunteers, which indicated normalized endothelial function.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.