Hi friends!Lassi is an age-old Indian drink from Punjab, which is generally consumed after a meal. But there’s more to lassi than being just another refreshing summer drink. The importance of lassi is due to its health benefits.
Time required: 5 minutes
Makes: 5-6 glasses
- 2 cups plain curd or yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dry ginger powder
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed ice cubes
- Few mint leaves
Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
Serve right away, garnished with a couple of mint leaves. Refrigerate to store, serve always chilled.
Note: Curd or dahi, is a popular food item in India, all over the country. Made from milk, this dairy product has a lot of health benefits. The nutrients present in curd are easily absorbed by our digestive system. Not only that, it also helps in absorbing nutrients from other food items that we have eaten. It can also be used along with spicy food, as curd cools down and neutralizes the heat that these foods create.
- A bowl of fresh curd and fruits is a great way to start your day. Add sour curd to salads and smoothies, which make it taste better.
- Sour curd is added to vegetable curries instead of tomatoes to make it rich and delicious.
- Being rich in calcium, curd is good for the health of bones as well as the teeth. For those who have difficulty in the digestion of lactose in milk, yogurt is an important source of calcium. Curd contains an enzyme which breaks down lactose to aid proper digestion.
- Curd is rich in vitamin D which helps our body to absorb and use calcium.
- Yogurt helps you feel fuller and is thus, a very good snack for those trying to lose weight.
- Eating curd / yogurt on a regular basis can help absorb the nutrients in other foods as well.Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition, Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.