Onion Patty/Onion Kachori
Hi friends! Happy holi to all of you. Here is an easy recipe of lip smacking, onion filled Spicy Snack for HOLI! These crisp, deep-fried Kachoris stuffed with an onion filling are so irresistible.
Preperation time:10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Cuisine: Indian, Snacks
For the Filling:
- 3 tea cups finely chopped onions
- 1 potatoes, boiled, peeled and coarsely mashed
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander/cilantro/ dhaiya leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt/ or to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafetida/heeng
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds, coarsely ground
- 2 tbsp chick pea flour /besan
- 2 tbsp amchoor /dried mango powder
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ginger finely grated
- 3green chilies, remove the seeds, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Cooking oil to deep fry
For the dough:
- 2 tea cups All purpose flour /maida
- 1/4 tea cup cooking oil
- 1 tsp salt /or to taste
To make the dough:
In a deep bowl take all purpose flour/ maida, add 4 tbsp oil, 1 tsp salt and knead into a firm dough using water gradually.
Cover the dough with a damp kitchen cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
For the filling:
In a heavy bottom pan/ wok heat 2 tbsp oil in a broad pan. Add asafetida, cumin seeds, , and coarsely ground coriander seeds.
Sauté for half a minute when cumin starts crackling, add finely chopped onions, salt and continue to sauté.
When onions are lightly golden browned, add ginger, garlic, green chilies, red chili powder, and dried mango powder. Mix well and sauté for a few second more,.
Add boiled and coarsely mashed potatoes, and gram flour and finely chopped coriander/cilantro/ dhaiya leaves . Mix well, cook for 2-3 minutes. Switch off the stove.
Remove the onion feeling in a bowl and let it cool to room temperature
Divide the dough in twelve equal portions. Roll out each portion of the dough into a 2½ diameter circle. Place 2-3 tbsp of the onion filling in the centre.
Bring the edges and press gently to close. Pat with hands to flatten the kachori, keeping the sides thin. Prick with a fork.
Repeat the same process with remaining portions of the dough.
Heat oil in a deep heavy bottom pan/ wok deep-fry the kachoris on high heat till golden. Drain on an absorbent kitchen napkin and serve hot with coriander/ sweet & sour tamarind chutney .
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.