Home made Shakar-paras a treat, Yummy!
Hi friends ! Here is an easy recipe to make delicious Shakar-paras today. Taste is medium sweet, crispy yet melt in your mouth! Traditionally served as a snack to guests during janmashtami Diwali but excellent snack to be had throughout the year . Shakar-paras are prepared in two ways. In one recipe sugar or jaggery is kneaded in the dough of shakar-paras and in the second recipe shakar-paras are sugar or jaggery coated later. In my this recipe I have made Shakar-paras with sugar kneaded in the dough. As you will see it is very easy to make sweet.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Time for frying: 20 minutes
Cuisine: Indian, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka
Serves : 6
- 2 1/2 cups All purpose Flour /Maida
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup Chick pea flour / Besan
- 1/2 cup Ghee
- 3 tbsp fresh Cream / Malai from boiled and cooled milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds / Til
- Oil – for frying
Sift flours, powder the sugar finely in a grinder, keep aside.
In a mixing bowl take all purpose Flour /Maida , Grind sugar finely, rice flour, Chick pea flour / bengal gram flour /besan, mix well and add ghee, fresh Cream / Malai from boiled and cooled milk and powdered sugar ,cream mix and rub in very well.
Add sesame seeds / Til Knead a soft firm dough by adding milk very slowly as required . Cover and keep aside the dough for 30 minutes.
Divide the dough into four equal portions. Roll out each portion into a 1/4 ” thick flat round circle.
Cut the rolled dough circles into diamond shaped Shakarparas with a knife . keep in a greased tray for frying.
Heat oil in kadahi /wok or a deep heavy bottom pan, put cut diamond shaped Shakar-paras in hot oil. After putting the shaker-paras in hot oil reduce the heat to medium low flame. Fry till they turn light golden brown, turning regularly.
Remove the fried Shakar-paras on a tray lined with paper kitchen towel to drain excessive oil.
When all the Shakar-paras are fried, cool and store them in an air tight container.
Very hot oil while frying will cook the shakar-para from outside but will not be cooked properly inside.
It is rich in carbohydrates, making it an instant source of energy.
Shelf life: It has a long shelf-life. Once it cools completely, store in airtight container , will stay good for weeks.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.