Coriander garlic chutney
Hi friends! A wonderful combination of coriander and pungent garlic, made into a chutney . The tamarind adds a pleasant tang to the Coriander Garlic Chutney, served as a dip or bread spread.
Total time: 10 minutes
Recipe type: sides
Making time: 2 minutes
Cuisine: North Indian
- 1 cup tightly packed, finely chopped coriander leaves/dhania
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilis, chopped
- 6 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 small marble size tamarind / Imali, soaked in 1/4 cup of water
- 1 level tsp salt / or as taste
- 1/4 cup water
Take coriander, wash it very well and chop it, and keep aside.
Peel, wash and chop the onion, green chilis and garlic cloves. Put all these ingredients along with salt and 1/4 cup of water in a grinder.
Take the soaked tamarind in microwave safe bowl with the water, and heat it for a minute. Cool it and extract the pulp and add it to the other ingredients in the grinder.
Grind all the ingredients with water till smooth. Refrigerate till required.
Note: There are many variations of coriander chutney. This versions of coriander chutneys is my favorite. It goes very well with Pakoras, Stuffed parothas or other many snacks.It can be stored for 8-10 days in the refrigerator.
Nutritional Value of Coriander:
A powerful herb, has many health benefits, Coriander commonly known as Cilantro or Dhania.It is used globally in food preparations. Coriander is packed with potential health benefits. It has eleven components of essential oils, six types of acids (including ascorbic acid, better known as vitamin-C), minerals and vitamins, each having a number of beneficial properties.It is rich in micro nutrients and nutritional elements. It contains dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals like calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium. Apart from being used in cooking, coriander leaves and seeds are known to help strengthen the stomach, reduce fever and lower cholesterol levels.
Nutritional Value of Garlic:
1.The Blood Purifier-Garlic will help to cleanse your system and flush out toxins.
2. Cold and Flu-Garlic is going to provide you relief from that stubborn cold and flu . Garlic can be added to hot stews, broths and soups to fight sinusitis, cold and flu. And garlic is best had in its raw state.
3. Prevention of Heart Disease-Consuming garlic on a daily basis (in food or raw) helps to lower cholesterol levels because of the anti-oxidant properties of Allicin.
4. Anti-bacterial and Anti-parasitic-Garlic has been used as an antibiotic to treat bacterial, fungal and parasitic infections for the last 7,000 years. Studies suggest diluted garlic extract helps children with tapeworm infections.
5. Cancer Prevention-Several studies have indicated an association between daily consumption of garlic and prevention of stomach and colorectal cancers. It is said to strengthen the immunity of the body against cancer.
6. For Skin and Hair-The invigorating properties of garlic protect the skin from the effect of free radicals and slow down the depletion of collagen which leads to loss of elasticity in aging skin. Applied topically, garlic does wonders to skin infected with fungal infections and provides relief from skin ailments like eczema. It is also an effective remedy for fungal infections like athlete’s foot and ringworms.
7. Splinters-Place a piece of cut garlic over the splinter cut and cover with a bandage- and voila! Bye-bye splinter.
- Asthma patients should not consume garlic as it may have side-effects.
- Garlic should be avoided before surgeries or medical operations.
- Do not consume more than 2-3 garlic cloves in a day without consulting a doctor.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.