Semolina/Suji/Rava Upma with Vegetables
Hi friends! Vegetable upma is an easy to prepare, tasty healthy delicacy.
Cooking time (approx.): 15-20 minutes
Course: Healthy Breakfast
- 1 cup semolina (or cream of wheat)
- 2 medium size onions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup French beans finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Broccoli florets cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup green peas shelled
- 1/2 cup carrots finely cubed
- 1 ” piece ginger grated
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 cups water
- 2/3 level tsp salt or salt to taste
- 8 cashew nuts broken into small pieces
- 2 tbsp roasted chana dal
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
In a kadahi/wok, dry roast semolina, stirring continuously (to a slight or no color change), on medium flame. Keep aside.
In a pressure cooker, add all the chopped vegetables, 1/4 cup water and 1/4 tsp of salt. On high flame when the pressure is formed switch off the stove. Let the cooker cool open the lid and take out the steamed vegetables and keep them aside.
Heat the remaining oil in the kadhai/wok. Toss in the mustard seeds, wait for them to splutter and then add the curry leaves, red chillies, onions, cashew nuts, roasted chana dal and ginger. Stir-fry on medium heat till the onions are transparent or golden and soft.
Add water and salt to the seasoning. Bring the water to boil.
Slowly add the roasted semolina/suji/rawa to the boiling water and stir continuously. Mix in the steamed vegetables.
Cook on low heat stirring continuously for about four-five minutes, till the mixture is set and solidifying. Serve hot with coriander or coconut chutney.
Amazing Health Benefits of Semolina:
Here’s a short list of what semolina can do for you:
- Semolina is made from durum wheat, so it is digested slowly. This helps you feel full longer and prevents you from overeating.
- Semolina improves kidney function, thanks to its potassium content.
- Add some chopped nuts and raisins to your semolina porridge, and you increase its nutritional content as well as taste.
- Add some chopped vegetables to savory semolina Upma, and you have a power-packed, as well as delicious, meal in a bowl.
- Semolina is a good source of two vital vitamins: E and the B group. Both, as we know, are essential for good immunity from disease.
- For those who lead an active lifestyle, semolina is a quick and nourishing source of energy.
- The trace minerals in semolina, such as phosphorus, zinc and magnesium, are beneficial for the health of your bones and nervous system.
Of course those with gluten intolerance would need to avoid eating semolina.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.