Uthappams or ooththappam or Uthappa is a dosa-like dish made with a batter. Unlike a dosa, which is crisp and crepe-like, uthappam is a thick pancake, with toppings cooked right into the batter. Uttapam is traditionally made with different toppings such as mixed vegetables, tomatoes, onion/ shallots, chilies, cabbage, coconut etc. It is generally eaten with sambar or chutney.
Hi friends ! Instant uthappams always salvage the situation when nothing is planned for breakfast. Here is the most simple, easy and never failing instant uthappams recipe for you all.
Makes: 4 Uttapams
Prep time:5 minutes
Cooking time:10 minutes
Cuisine: Indian, South Indian
- 1 cup Rice flour
- 1/2 cup Maida /All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Suji rawa /Semolina
- 1/2 cup curd /yogurt /Dahi, thick slightly sour, whisked
- 2 medium size onions, very finely chopped
- 2 medium size tomatoes, very finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Green chili paste
- 2 tbsp Coriander/ Cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2/3 tsp Salt/ or to taste
- Oil,to cook uttapams
In a mixing bowl mix all purpose flour/ maida ,suji rava/semolina ,rice flour, salt , baking soda.
Add to step1 mix whisked curd / yogurt / Dahi and gradually add sufficient water to it and mix until lump free batter is formed.
The batter should be thick but of pouring consistency Keep this aside for 15 minutes.
Add green chili paste, cumin seeds and finely chopped coriander/Cilantro leaves, and mix it well.
Pour a ladle full of batter on a hot non stick tawa /gridle spread it in a circular motion on the tava lik we make a dosa taking care that the quantity of batter will be more than a dosa as the uthappam is thicker. top the uthappam with a handful of the onion, and tomatoes .
Pour 1 tbsp oil approx over and around the uttapam, cover it with a lid and cook for 1 -2 minutes on medium flame.
Turn / flip the uthapaam when cooked on one side. The onion, tomato side gets cooked flip it back this side also gets cooked and light golden brown in colour.
When the uthappams are crisp and cooked on both sides, serve hot with hot sambar and coconut chutney. Uthappams can also be served with coriander chutney .
- These uthappams are best eaten hot because cold uthappams turn soggy.
- when on high flame do not pour the batter on the hot non -stick tawa / gridle . Reduce the flame to low before starting to pour the batter for the next uthappam.
- Always stir the batter before pouring for the next uthappam.
- There are many instant variety dosas like Rawa doas, BesanDosa, Wheat flour Dosa and Oats Dosa to name a few.
Traditional Indian recipes are very tasty, quite nutritious, many are low in calories and fat if prepared at home. These days, the trend of eating out in restaurants has gone up. The food available there may not be as nutritious and low in fat and calories as that prepared at home. Also the quality of oil may also be open to discussion. It is not known if the restaurant cooks are using same oil repeatedly many times. Reusing oil for frying repeatedly will make the recipes unhealthy. It is therefore prudent to do home cooking and enjoy!
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer:
- Nick’s kitchen is for Vegetarians. It sometimes provides education and support to individuals who want to become vegetarian, or move toward a more vegetarian diet.
- Nick’s kitchen provides some information on vegetarian and vegan diets to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
- Nick’s kitchen does not claim to be health care professional, nutritionist, nor does it claims to treat any illness through vegan or vegetarian diet.
- If you have a medical condition,Nick’s kitchen recommend that you consult your health care professionals before changing your diet.
- Any changes that you make to your diet, and the results of those changes, are your decision and your responsibility.
Nick’s kitchen medical Disclaimer: